Food, glorious food!
Our Weekly Digest
Every week, we’ll be sending you an email with our favorite news stories, events, and overall advice for getting through school in one piece. Enjoy!
Have your cake & eat it too
Benjamin Franklin once said the only certain things in life are death, taxes, and having to buy an entirely new wardrobe after the holidays because of all the weight you gained.
But luckily, there are a few things you can do to stay in shape over the holiday season while still enjoying yourself:
- Don’t party when you’re hungry: It’s fine to have a bit of junk food, but it’s a terrible idea to have it around when you’re hungry — because that’s when you’ll binge. If you know for a fact that you’ll be going to a place where temptations will be high, make sure you eat beforehand.
- Keep track of what you eat: Lots of people complain that they can’t stay in shape, even though “they’ve tried everything.” But the truth is that most people don’t even keep a track of what they eat. By writing it down or using an app like MyFitnessPal to log your meals, you can monitor how much you’re eating. Just logging your meals alone will help you manage your food intake.
Check out some other tactics in this article, and have a happy (and healthy) holiday season!
Maybe you CAN always get what you want…
If you studied marketing, then you know that people think in very emotional ways, and backwards rationalize that emotion with logic later. That’s why people think they’re making logical decisions even though they’re really not.
That one insight can help you get what you want in many different areas of life — including school. Check out this article by James Altucher where he talks about how he persuaded his programming professor to help him graduate by giving him a D+ instead of a D-.
This is what he said: “Listen. I don’t deserve it. But I love computer science. I’m leaving here to go to graduate school in computer science. I don’t know why I’m not good at Fortran. But they won’t graduate me unless you switch me from a D- to a D+. Can you please do it?”
Here’s why it worked, according to James:
- He eliminated by only possible counter argument by admitting he didn’t deserve the grade boost.
- He related on common ground (they both love computer science, and James was going to graduate school just like his professor)
- He gave an us-versus’them argument (“they” won’t graduate him)
Check out the other reasons in this article.
Who’s in charge, here?
Turns out the entire internet is controlled by a group of 14 people.
A while back, a bunch of sites on the internet went down after hackers directed a large amount of traffic at a company called Dyn, which is a big DNS (domain name system) provider. Basically whoever controls the DNS controls the internet.
To make this whole thing sound even more like a movie, there’s a corporation called ICANN which came up with a ritual for securing the internet. ICANN picked seven people to be key holders, each of whom hold an actual key to the entire internet. Seven more people are backup key holders.
Whenever the key holders get together, there’s always an intense level of security that involves locked doors, hand scanners, security cameras, heavy scripting and auditing, and more.
If this sounds incredibly risky, it’s because it is. When Dyn went under an attack from hackers, some major sites went down — including Github, Business Insider, Amazon, Twitter, Spotify, and more.
Be the host(ess) with the most(est)
Now that it’s November, the only thing we’ll all be thinking about for the rest of the year is the holiday season. And part of the holidays is about planning fun parties.
Here are a few holiday party themes that’ll keep things interesting:
- Cocktail potluck: Instead of asking your friends to bring food, ask them to bring a cocktail instead. You could throw in some candy cane martinis, eggnog, or spiked cocoa. Some food would be nice too
- Pet holiday party: The one thing that everyone in this world loves is pets that are dressed up. Imagine your friends bringing their dogs and cats dressed up like santa with stockings. You’ll get a lot of likes on Instagram from those pictures.
- Holiday movie marathon: It wouldn’t be the holidays without throwing on some classic Christmas movies. Throw on some Elf, Home Alone, and maybe a drinking game if that’s not exciting enough.