Biology 111 Chapters 1 and 2 (Week 1 notes)
Biology 111 Chapters 1 and 2 (Week 1 notes) Biology 111 Sec 008
Popular in Topics in Contemporary Biology
Popular in Biological Sciences
This 4 page Bundle was uploaded by amber weiss on Tuesday January 19, 2016. The Bundle belongs to Biology 111 Sec 008 at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville taught by Thomas Buettner in Spring 2016. Since its upload, it has received 45 views. For similar materials see Topics in Contemporary Biology in Biological Sciences at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville.
Reviews for Biology 111 Chapters 1 and 2 (Week 1 notes)
Report this Material
What is Karma?
Karma is the currency of StudySoup.
You can buy or earn more Karma at anytime and redeem it for class notes, study guides, flashcards, and more!
Date Created: 01/19/16
Biology 111 Section 008 Professor Buettner Chapter 1 Additional Notes Chapter 1 Section 1: Metabolism is the sum of all chemical reactions Homeostasis means “stay” “same” Example) Temperature Example) Blood Pressure Example) Heart Rate Evolution is the genetic change over a period of time Chapter 2 Section 2: Cell Theory: All living things are cells, or All living things are made up of cells Chapter 2 Section 3: The minimum requirement of cells would be… DNA (Deoxyribonucleic Acid) Cell Membrane Prokaryotic Cells “Pro” means BEFORE “Karyo” means KERNEL--- aka… Nucleus This cell is the most basic of the cells… - It contains only… - The DNA - And the Cell Membrane Eukaryotic Cells “EU” means True “Karyo” means kernel This cell is a little more complex… - It contains… - A DNA - Nuclear Membrane - Cell Membrane - Nucleus Chapter 1 Section 4: Decomposers= Fungi and Bacteria Plants are producers Sunlight’s is the ultimate source of energy in an ecosystem Energy or Matter cannot be created or destroyed Some energy is lost, but some is given off as heat Chapter 1 Section 6: Bacteria and Archaea - Are both Prokaryotes - Both are unicellular Archaea can withstand HIGH pressure, HIGH temperature, and HIGH salt - They can live in ANY type of environment Chapter 1 Section 7: Evolution is the core theme in biology Natural Selection= survival of the fittest and reproduction POPULATIONS evolve NOT SPECIES Chapter 1 Section 11: Antibiotics DO NOT work on viruses - Because they develop genes that resist the antibiotic Chapter 1 Section 8: Hypothesis= explanation of 1 set of observations Prediction= the IF, THEN statement Science cannot prove the truth, but FALSE explanations Biology 111 Section 008 Professor Buettner Chapter 2 Additional Notes Introduction: The cell is filled with water… Our body is consisted of 70-95% water. Chapter 2 Section 1: Matter- anything that occupies space and has mass Element- a substance comprised of only 1 type of an atom Compound- 2+ different elements in a fixed ratio 2+ different atoms in a fixed ratio Example) H2O is a compound… 2:1 Compound- molecule of 2+ atoms 4 major elements = 96% of elements on our periodic table - Oxygen -Hydrogen - Carbon -Nitrogen Chapter 2 Section 2: Trace elements are important… They make up the other 4% Example) Iron -Our blood is made up of iron… the reason our blood is red is because of oxidized iron. -An abandoned tractor that is rusty, is rusty due to the oxidized iron. Example) Iodine -Iodine is used for throid hormones -Iodized Salt Example) Fluoride -Reduce tooth decay All are trace elements, the other 4%, but are all VERY important to our bodies. Chapter 2 Section 3: Atom- smallest unit of matter that cannot be divided Proton is a POSITIVE CHARGE Neutron is a NEUTRAL CHARGE Electron is a NEGATIVE CHARGE Stable atoms same number of protons and electrons Proton is an Element Chapter 2 Section5: Covalent = sharing electrons Chapter 2 Section 6: Non-Polar Covalent Bonds SHARE but EQUAL H-H C-H C-C O=0 --------- DOUBLE BOND, that is why there are 2 dashes and not only 1 Polar Covalent = SHARE but UNEQUAL The electrons are shared, but they spend more time with the larger massed element Example) WATER -Has 1 Oxygen and 2 Hydrogen elements… Oxygen has 8 protons and 8 electrons Hydrogen has 1 proton and 1 electron Has 8 electrons… but spend more time with oxygen instead of hydrogen
Are you sure you want to buy this material for
You're already Subscribed!
Looks like you've already subscribed to StudySoup, you won't need to purchase another subscription to get this material. To access this material simply click 'View Full Document'