Midterm #1 Study Guide 2015
1. What three ancient cultures have influenced modern sexuality?
Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome, Abrahamic (Christian)
2. What factors are included in Sexual Health?
physical, mental, and emotional factors
3. What do healthy relationships include?
consent, communication, respect, healthy sex
4. Is anal sex legal or illegal in most states?
5. Is the frequency of bestiality in the U.S. low or high among adolescents? low 8%
6. What are some of the reasons for increased breast size in women?
garment industry, increase in overweight, excessive estrogen, PCBs in enviorment 7. What is the “average” penis size?
3 to 5 when not…5 to 7 when
8. Is cancer directly related to breast problems among women?
9. Among high school students, which sexual orientation has the highest rate of ever having sex?
gay and lesbian
10. Among high school students, which sexual orientation has the highest rates of condom use?
11. Which age group of college women had the highest rates of oral and anal intercourse? 2024
12. Which age group of college women had the highest rates of forced sex? 2024
13. What does the term “Hooking Up” refer to?
Short lived, emotionally shallow, non exclusive, casual sex, neck
14. What precautions should people take in order not to contract a STI? Condoms, protection
Don't forget about the age old question of What is the us constitution mean?
15. According to one expert mentioned in class, what is Love?
Lust, romantic attraction, attatchment
16. What hormones are secreted when one is in Love?
serotonin, norepinephrine, testosterone, estrogen
17. What was the Comstock Act?
act of suppression of trade in and circulation of obscene literature and articles of immoral use
Us supreme court devised a three parttest to determine weather a work was obscene 18. What is the origin of the word “Pornography?”
PORNI GRAPHEN prostitute and to write GREEK
19. What is the world’s oldest profession?
20. Is prostitution legal or illegal in most of the world?
21. Is pedophilia legal or illegal in the U.S.?
22. Was oral sex ever illegal in the U.S.?
23. In what year did the U.S. overturn Sodomy Laws?
24. According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), what is the prevalence of anal sex among men who have sex with men? We also discuss several other topics like What people legally may or may not do?
2/3 of gay men have oral sex
25. What does the term “miscegenation” mean?
interracial marriage or sex
26. In what year did the U.S. Supreme Court overturn miscegenation or antimiscegenation laws?
27. What does “STI” mean?
Sexually transmitted infections
28. What does “HPV” mean?
Human papilloma virus
29. What STI’s are bacterial in origin?
syphilis, gonorrhea, cancroid, chlamydia
30. What STI’s are viral in origin? We also discuss several other topics like Why is opportunity cost necessary in economic expansion?
HPV, herpes, HIV
31. What STI’s are protozoan in origin?
32. How can a person prevent themselves from getting an STI?
33. Genital Warts are caused by which STI?
34. How many types of HPV are there?
more than 40 types
35. What can happen if syphilis goes untreated?
Could cause death, numbness, blindness, difficult coordinating muscle, dementia, paralysis
36. What was the Tuskegee Experiment?
the us gov conducted experiment with African american men who had syphilis denying them treatment in order to study what STIs
37. STI racial/ethnic disparities are greatest for what two STIs?
congenital syphilis and gonorrhea
38. Chlamydia or gonorrhea can cause what in women if left untreated? Damage reproductive organs, pelvic imflamatory disease, infertility, 39. Which racial/ethnic group has the highest rates of primary and secondary syphilis? African americans
40. What are some factors that may account for STI health disparities? distortive sexual networks, gender imbalance, having a lot of sexual partners, concurrency
41. How is HPV transmitted?
oral, anal, vaginal We also discuss several other topics like What does econometrics use to estimate economic relationships?
42. Some types of HPV can cause what types of cancers?
Cervical, throat cancer
43. Is there a difference between “Transsexuals” and “Intersexed”?
yes, in middle middle sexes max is born with ambiguous genitalia
44. According to Lee Ann Hamilton, what percentage of persons 1824 become infected with an STI?
45. What did Lee Ann Hamilton discuss in class?
most UA students sexually active, always use condoms, women’s health (pelvic exams and pap test), condom on football Don't forget about the age old question of What are the reasons for studying the history of landscape arch?
46. What did Dr. Krista Millay discuss in class?
healthy and unhealthy relationships, consent and tea, sexual assault (20% UA women) 47. When is consensual sex consensual?
when all parties give consent, individual can revoke consent even after already giving it 48. Several questions from “Middle Sexes” video. Don't forget about the age old question of Does a seller have a seller's surplus?
most animals partake in homo and heterosexual activity
currently supportive of noah but do have concerns and reservations
TRUE –show scientific research on transgender brain development and found a connection between brain structure and gender identification
Max is born with ambiguous genitalia max is identified as INTERSEX hijras in india are considered and identified as a THIRD SEX