If Morgan isn't already a tutor, they should be. Haven't had any of this stuff explained to me as clearly as this was. I appreciate the help!
Exam 1 Review
CHEM 1314 Spring 2016
1. Write the chemical formula(s) of the product(s) and balance all of the following reactions. Identify all products phases as either (g)as, (l)iquid, (s)olid or (aq)ueous
a) 3Mg(s) + N2(g) → Mg3N2 (s)
b) S8(g) + 8O2(g) → 8SO2 (g)
c) 2C6H14(l) + 19O2(g) → 12CO2 (g) + 14H2O(g)
d) 2K(s) + Cl2(g) → 2KCl (s)
2. Perform the following conversions. Be sure your answer has the correct number of significant figures.
a) 400. cm3 to liters
We also discuss several other topics like How do you solve a lagrangian equation?
b) the volume of a ball is 2.00 ft3. Convert to km3. (use at least 3 conversions factors.)
If you want to learn more check out How do we know global politics exist?
5.66 x 10-11
c) What is 10.0 Kelvin on the Fahrenheit scale?
10k= celcius+ 273.15 celcius= 10K=273.15 =-263.15C We also discuss several other topics like How to interact with the world, interact with peer and other adults?
If you want to learn more check out Who was james jamerson? how do the musicians interviewed regard him as a musician, and what unique contributions did he bring to the funk brothers?
F= 9/5 * -263.15+32 = -441.8 F
3. A particular homogeneous mixture of ethanol (C2H6O) and water has a density of 0.945 g · ml-1. This ethanol solution is also 36.0% (by mass) ethanol. The density of pure ethanol is 0.789 g · ml-1.
a) A sample of this ethanol solution has a mass of 250. g, calculate the volume of the solution.
265 mL of ethanol
b) How many grams of water and ethanol are in the sample in a)?
36.0g pure ethanol
90g pure ethanol
100 g ethanol solution
250g ethanol solution-90g pure ethanol=160g of water Don't forget about the age old question of What makes water an excellent solvent?
4. Predict a reasonable formula for the compound formed from each of the following combinations of elements or polyatomic ions.
a) sodium and sulfate
b) iron and bromide (there are 2 possible formulas for this, only write one) FeBr2
c) carbon and fluorine
d) aluminum and sulfur
e) silver and carbonate
f) nitrogen and oxygen
5. Fill the blanks in the table below:
Name of compound
Formula of compound
Ionic or covalent?
Iron (III) Bromide
don’t worry about this one
Don't forget about the age old question of How did islam spread in the arabian peninsula?
6. The relative weighted average atomic mass of gallium is 69.723 u. Gallium has two naturally occurring isotopes. One of those isotopes has a mass of 70.9247 u and a percent abundance of 39.89%. 1-.3989= .6011
a) Calculate the mass of the other isotope of gallium. X=68.93u
b) How many neutrons, protons and electrons are in each of the isotopes of gallium?
7. Complete each calculation and report the answer to the correct number of significant figures. a) (3.05 x 1020)/(8.340 x 1024) = 3.66x 10-5
b) (1/65) + (1/1234) = .016
c) (8.34 · 0.450) – (2.001/ 0.83) = 1.3
8. Complete the table:
M, Molar mass (g/mol)
m, mass of
n, moles of
N, number of
atoms or formula units
5.32 x 1022atoms
3.21 x 10-3
284 (�� ������
��������)= 2.00mol 2.00mol (��.����������^���� ������
��������)= 1.20x1024 f.u
5.32x1022atoms (�� ������
��.����������^���� ������)= 8.84x10-2 mol (��.��������
�� ������)= .484g 3.21x10-3mol (��.����������^���� ������
��������)= 1.93x1021 f.u
9. Which of the following metals reacts with water immediately?
10. What is the mass of one atom of gold?
1 atom Au
1 mol Au
6.022 x 1023 atoms Au
1 mol Au
a. 3.27 x 10-22 grams
b. 3.06 x 1021 grams
c. 1.79 x 10-21 grams
d. 1.31 x 10-22 grams