If Morgan isn't already a tutor, they should be. Haven't had any of this stuff explained to me as clearly as this was. I appreciate the help!
Exam 1 Review
CHEM 1314 Spring 2016
1. Write the chemical formula(s) of the product(s) and balance all of the following reactions. Identify all products phases as either (g)as, (l)iquid, (s)olid or (aq)ueous
a) 3Mg(s) + N2(g) → Mg3N2 (s)
b) S8(g) + 8O2(g) → 8SO2 (g)
c) 2C6H14(l) + 19O2(g) → 12CO2 (g) + 14H2O(g)
d) 2K(s) + Cl2(g) → 2KCl (s)
2. Perform the following conversions. Be sure your answer has the correct number of significant figures.
a) 400. cm3 to liters
Don't forget about the age old question of What is the formula of substitution method?
b) the volume of a ball is 2.00 ft3. Convert to km3. (use at least 3 conversions factors.)
5.66 x 10-11
c) What is 10.0 Kelvin on the Fahrenheit scale?
10k= celcius+ 273.15 celcius= 10K=273.15 =-263.15C
F= 9/5 * -263.15+32 = -441.8 F
3. A particular homogeneous mixture of ethanol (C2H6O) and water has a density of 0.945 g · ml-1. This ethanol solution is also 36.0% (by mass) ethanol. The density of pure ethanol is 0.789 g · ml-1.
a) A sample of this ethanol solution has a mass of 250. g, calculate the volume of the solution.
265 mL of ethanol
Don't forget about the age old question of How do we know global politics exist?
b) How many grams of water and ethanol are in the sample in a)?
36.0g pure ethanol
90g pure ethanol
100 g ethanol solution
250g ethanol solution-90g pure ethanol=160g of water
4. Predict a reasonable formula for the compound formed from each of the following combinations of elements or polyatomic ions.
a) sodium and sulfate
b) iron and bromide (there are 2 possible formulas for this, only write one) FeBr2 We also discuss several other topics like Does segregation still exist in the united states?
c) carbon and fluorine
d) aluminum and sulfur
e) silver and carbonate
f) nitrogen and oxygen
5. Fill the blanks in the table below:
Name of compound
Formula of compound
Ionic or covalent?
Iron (III) Bromide
don’t worry about this one
If you want to learn more check out Who was james jamerson? how do the musicians interviewed regard him as a musician, and what unique contributions did he bring to the funk brothers?
Don't forget about the age old question of How do acids and bases affect how we function?
6. The relative weighted average atomic mass of gallium is 69.723 u. Gallium has two naturally occurring isotopes. One of those isotopes has a mass of 70.9247 u and a percent abundance of 39.89%. 1-.3989= .6011
a) Calculate the mass of the other isotope of gallium. X=68.93u
b) How many neutrons, protons and electrons are in each of the isotopes of gallium?
Don't forget about the age old question of What does "jihad" translate to in english?
7. Complete each calculation and report the answer to the correct number of significant figures. a) (3.05 x 1020)/(8.340 x 1024) = 3.66x 10-5
b) (1/65) + (1/1234) = .016
c) (8.34 · 0.450) – (2.001/ 0.83) = 1.3
8. Complete the table:
M, Molar mass (g/mol)
m, mass of
n, moles of
N, number of
atoms or formula units
5.32 x 1022atoms
3.21 x 10-3
284 (�� ������
��������)= 2.00mol 2.00mol (��.����������^���� ������
��������)= 1.20x1024 f.u
5.32x1022atoms (�� ������
��.����������^���� ������)= 8.84x10-2 mol (��.��������
�� ������)= .484g 3.21x10-3mol (��.����������^���� ������
��������)= 1.93x1021 f.u
9. Which of the following metals reacts with water immediately?
10. What is the mass of one atom of gold?
1 atom Au
1 mol Au
6.022 x 1023 atoms Au
1 mol Au
a. 3.27 x 10-22 grams
b. 3.06 x 1021 grams
c. 1.79 x 10-21 grams
d. 1.31 x 10-22 grams