week 2 Renew kem points
Justice potter stewart:
Press uause gives the "publishing business special protection as the "4" branch" of guv.
thinks the "speech" and "press" gause_are different There are 6 Possible values/theones of what the It A. 15.
We also discuss several other topics like What are the three main types of insurable risks?
• The 1st A. has roots in English lamencan Colonial theorists.com
"Bad Tendency" test. cumitney W. CA 1927) * What's the original intent of the 1st A ?
• Sedition AC was the first major law that challenged 1o A. ideas (Prohibiting newspapers from being published for centain types of speech, Nury censoRED!)
* 15 Amendment in 19 century isn't as protective as it is today (back then they censored abolitionist material more than sexually provocative material! wth!) Don't forget about the age old question of Which struggles have influenced latin american economies and governments?
* not until 1919 did major 1st A. cases reach the scons.
_' sedition: any action (especially speach) mat's considered incitement of discontent frebellion against government
• congress decides to pass Espionage Act 1917 and sedition Act 1918
to censor and combat radical expression during wwl. 43 **Bad Tendency test : what counts used to determine if speech Don't forget about the age old question of What to do with former slaves
had a tendency to produce something bad 24 ** clear and present danger" rest what counts used to If you want to learn more check out What is white matter/gray matter?
deremine if speeon should be protected by St A If you want to learn more check out How does the mind relate to the brain?
smith act: it's inegal to encourage a violent overthrow ut goverment or to be a member ut a group that supports that. * eventually seainon lawe getting overtumed because there's the issue about abstract advocacy" and extending the nights in 1st A. even further.
ISP Don't forget about the age old question of What powers do states have that the federal government does not?
Incitement test the one we use today in court
speech that has a teaching function" of illegal activity is protected by abstract advocacy but not where there's imminent and likely lamecs action
speech that's considered stup "true threat isn't protected by 1st A. (5 points that determine a true threat")
() Study soup
2) Study Sot