State & Unitory actor -internal acbo shape atcomes inonstate actors do, too Rationality = Problematic! Military force I only or most important form of leverage
Crational rights al ways) Neoliberalismo
• Assumptions: - Actors: Self-interested & rational Maximizers - International regimes can facilitate cooperations
• dilemmas of common interest : Prisoner's Dilemma (both wont best autcome)
• dilemmas of common aversion : 2 cars at an intersection won't to onoid Collision
- Actors want mutual gains
There is unavoidable disconnect between rational action & real world
- Ideas Matter - Powerlinstitutions not only considerable IR factors a de Don't forget about the age old question of What medications inhibit cox1/cox2? what are those medications used for?
• Soft faver" o anarchy defined by States
•WWI caused by Germany's Militarism/glorifying of war. Don't forget about the age old question of What are the relationships between people and the movement of populations?
• USSR downfall caused by "new thinking
Perception Changes i, ei tron+ nuclear Power 1970s: Us: Yay, that's good, we'll even help you get them 1980si Us: ehhhh.... on Today! Us. They cannot be trusted, Why do they need nukes?
Marxism (economic structuralism);
- The role of classes - imperialism (Conquoring states just for exponsion's soke) - rich and poor -Universalism We also discuss several other topics like What is a proposition in propositional logic?
Levels of Analysis. lex Plonatione I Domestak:
- look wlin States/societies for causes of war. -Regime type - Societal /cultural traits
- include political institutions interest groups, etc. 2. Interstate:
-focus: balance of Poiver (Power Transition Theory) - Deterrence Theory (Iron + Israel both have nukes, so neither use them,) t Arms races
3. Global: Don't forget about the age old question of How do you determine the proper arrangement of chromosomes in a karyotype?
Don't forget about the age old question of What were the confederate soldiers fighting for?
-Cyclical wars - long Cycles (Kondratieft) - economic Cycles -HST -globalization
Decision - Making Theory (OMT): a) Unit of analysis b. Perceptions:Key focus
• Tendency of DMS to allow conceptions of the national interest to be colored by their perceptions of what's good for their bureaucracy. olaw of Bureaucratic inertion. b. at rest stay & b. in motion stay. We also discuss several other topics like What refers population size and distribution?
Deasion Making Process attranslating national interest considerations into objectives b) determining international domestic Situational factors related to (C) analyzing capabilities for achieving results (d developing Strategy to reach goal
e undertaking requisite achon f) review of process to evaluate Success in reaching goals,
3 Models of decision-making A- Rational Actor Model: rationality maximize expected Utility
B-Organizational Process Modelle banded rationality e large ofganizational Units+ Standard Operating procedures (sop) : key
C- Bureaucratic Politics % Intensive bargaining among DM Onits
• 1 unit triumphs in DM Process or result is "mixed
Cubon Missile Crisis:
explanations by model:
• RAM; Focus on Strategic Choices made by both super powers
• OPM: focus on Sops
• BPM: focus on bargaining, among different DM Units
Head of state, - Commander-in-chief - Make international treaties
Veto power o appointments
o Judicial - nominale judges
Expansion of favere - Pres develop new roles + expond pave of office
Perspectives Charge: Dos-loost Powerful presz good, Tos-naw: distrusted and checked Pres has in herent and informal powers.