- Impacts of Watching Violence in TV: (HINT: Be sure to discuss the mean world syndrome and what is meant by “cultivation.” Be sure to give several specific examples from the video.) (25%)
• the meaning of the violence and its effect on people is what means the most to the researchers not how much violence we encounter.
• “monkey see, monkey do” watching violence causes violence and the increases the idea of violence • the pain fund study shows that media violence has long term effects on its viewers
• ex. Halloween 1938, reading of War of the Worlds, caused wide spread panic. This only added to the conclusion that mass media effects us.
• magic bullet theory (media is the bullet and our reaction is the blow up of a jug of juice) • heavier viewers have an increased sense of insecurity and fear
• They live in a meaner worlds, they encounter more violence, the entire media effect
• The mean world syndrome- news media is a “nightly carnival of violence”, 61% of local news stories cover some kind of violence, we are more afraid of the world because of the exposure to mass media, perception causes you to always be on guard, mean people are angry and this causes violence.
• cultivation- the amount of television they watch and they amount of fear they have, clear correlation of the amount of media we consume and the amount of fear we have
• even though statistics show that crime has dropped, society believes the opposite and gun sales are going. fear is not going down. Protecting themselves from chaos and fear and gives them power
• Why is fear rising when the threat is falling? 2/3 of those who believe this get their news from television, media is changing their perception They don’t want to believe that the world is getting less violent because media doesn’t portray that is less violent
If you want to learn more check out Why is directional solidification important?
- Human Costs of Watching Violence on TV (HINT: The negative portrayal of different categories of people? Be sure to give several specific examples from the video.) (25%)
• media dehumanizes many minorities by only sharing things like illegal immigration (latinos) and destroying their reputation
• over the last century 90% of media portrayals of aribs and muslims are negative which are influencing a violent reaction to the violence going on as well as our thoughts of those minorities and individuals of that decent
• African Americans- blacks are twice as likely to be seen as law breakers than whites, heavy viewers are more likely to view all blacks as violent
• People are less likely to believe that there is a repression of crime because it changes their view on what is going on in the world because it would change their insecurities Don't forget about the age old question of How do i find the axis of symmetry of a parabola?
We also discuss several other topics like How many planets would we need to sustain life?
- Impact of the Video on You? How will having viewed the video affect your thinking about or the way you watch TV in the future? (20%) If you want to learn more check out What does symbolic interactionist perspective mean?
We also discuss several other topics like In which type of product market does this firm sell?
We also discuss several other topics like What is an example of a conditioned response?