Final Exam Study Guide
1. Which is biological and which is cultural, gender and sex? 2. What term describes an ideology about the superiority of one sex or gender to another?
3. How does Functionalism talk about issues of sex and gender? 4. How does Conflict theory talk about issues of sex and gender? 5. Which theory says that gender and gender roles are learned through the socialization process?
6. How much money do women make for every dollar a man makes? 7. How does society typically view sexuality categories?
8. What are the two steps of gender role socialization?
Chapter 11 If you want to learn more check out How to predict the covalent bond strength?
1. What are the 4 ways to increase profits, according to sociology? 2. True/False: profit encourages efficiency
3. What term describes a worker’s disconnected relationship to their work?
4. What does structural functionalism say about work and the economy? 5. What was the earliest American economy based on?
6. What happened from the most recent shift in the American economy? 7. What is the formal name for the “sharing economy” that exists today? 8. What “revolution” occurred after the microchip was invented in the 1970s?
1. True/False: expansion of schooling always increases social mobility 2. Are schools funded mostly by federal or local governments? 3. True/False: school being available to more people allows for less schooling required to get good jobs
4. Is there more or less diversity the higher you go in the education system?
5. What do sociologists say is the function of schools right now? 6. Which “track” are minorities most often found on in school? 7. Approx. what percentage of students participate in AP courses and exams?
8. Have suspension rates increased or decreased since the 1970s? 9. What condition that we covered is being diagnosed more frequently in kids today? Don't forget about the age old question of What is the best formulation to get to the insect?
10. Is Teach for America a permanent or temporary solution? Health and Illness
1. What is a food desert?
2. Where do food deserts typically occur?
3. Who typically has worse health, the rich or the poor?
4. Define medicalization
5. Which NYC mayor banned smoking in public places, and worked to make taxis more environmentally friendly?We also discuss several other topics like You come home to find an intruder in your apartment. according to the james-lange theory of emotion, which response comes first?
6. True/False: the US has one of the most advanced healthcare systems in the world
7. What were two main aspects that the Affordable Care Act reformed? 8. True/False: the US spends more money per person on healthcare than anyone else in the world
Chapter 9 Answers
1. Sex is biological, gender is cultural
3. Certain social roles are better suited to one gender than the other 4. Gender inequality is a result of exploitation
5. Symbolic Interactionism
6. 77 cents per dollar a man makes
7. Binary (only two categories, men and women)
8. Society teaches individuals, then individuals learn and embrace what society teaches them
Chapter 11 Answers
1. Raise prices, decrease quality, sell smaller amounts for the same price, pay workers less/hire fewer workers We also discuss several other topics like What is primary production and why is it important?
2. True; invent new technology, expand into new markets, make things more efficient
4. Different types of work are necessary to the economy and to society 5. Hunting and gathering (Native Americans)
6. Shift from manufacturing to service economy
7. New Age Capitalism
8. Information Revolution
2. Local governments; cities and property taxes
3. False; more schooling is required
4. Less diversity in higher education
5. To reproduce the existing class structure
6. “Slow” track
7. 60% nationwide
8. Increased; almost doubled
10. Temporary solution to a permanent problem
Health and Illness Answers
1. An area that doesn’t have convenient access to nutritious foods 2. Urban centers and rural areas
3. Poor people typically have worse health
4. Redefining personal problems as medical issues
5. Michael Bloomberg
6. False; not even top 25 in the world
7. Expanded insurance coverage and corrected the worst abuses by insurance companies If you want to learn more check out Describe the effects that the black death had on europe culturally, religiously, and politically.
If you want to learn more check out What is the 3 primary fashion center of the market?
8. True but this isn’t reflected in the quality of care received