Communications and Public Life – Dr. Gratson 8/30 – 9/6 2016
President Richard M. Gilbert (40 years)
>Associate Vice President Dean Stephanie Ive, Ed. D
& Dean of Students
Student Affairs Dr. Kimberly Guire
Dean of SMC Dean David Boardman
Chair of Advertising Dana Saewitz
Chair of Journalism Carolyn Kitch
Chair of Strat Comm Lance Holbert
Chair of Media Studies
& Production Geoffrey Baym
SMC Career Center LuAnn Kahn
O Freude, nicht Töne! >> The poem of the inspiration for Beethoven’s 9th symphony. O = O
Freudne = friends
nicht = not
diese = these
Töne = tone
- In German anything that is capitalized is a noun and to make
a a noun singular to plural from add an e.
- Freudne & Töne are both plural and a noun.
Thorstein Veblen (TV)
Determinism >> (1857-1929) – THORSTEIN VEBLEN
- Technological Determinism Referred to as TD.
o Noted by Thorstein Veblen If you want to learn more check out industrial legislation ppt
- Did not focus on the true technology but rather the difference
in social classes.
- Explored social & economical experience of immigrants
- Critiqued 19th century capitalism
We also discuss several other topics like sanam kazemi
• Resulting in – “The Theory of the Leisure Class: An
Economic of Institutions.”
Communications and Public Life – Dr. Gratson 8/30 – 9/6 2016 - Compared social progress & economic in
• men & women
• Norwegian immigrants vs. English townspeople
- Social progress was tired to class differences
- Differed with later theorists
• Concept of technology as specific element of economic
>> Asserted 3 groups were emerging in U.S
• Engineers We also discuss several other topics like larry lehr
The role of self, collective and tech mesh
We linked from who to what we are.
Tech affects everything we do & who we are.
Tech is anything that advances In life – contacts, hearing aids,
pace makers, etc.
Tech advances are everywhere.
- The WHEEL is the most significant technological
advancement, next is the boat.
- Cameras are everywhere Don't forget about the age old question of When did the atlantic world begin?
- Tech as communication link social progress
- Current events, news gathering, newspapers evolved
because tech advances.
>>> TD continued…
Charles Beard (CB) >>> (1874-1948) – furthered positioning study of tech. - Grounded tech in a framework of politics, social advancements
& historical conflict.
- Active economist
- History as being grounded in class iniatives, position that
advanced his own personal sense of advocacy & activism.
Concept originally noted by Veblen If you want to learn more check out waldensianism
Concept furthered by Charles Beard [seven-league boots – CB
“Technological marches in seven-league boots from one ruthless,
revolutionary concession to another, tearing down older factories
- Beard believed tech is important role as a primary motivator for social
change, but negatively affected human communication.
- Beard believes tech advances are sometimes negative
o Human interaction negatively affected because of tech
▪ Dating, socially inept, relationships
Communications and Public Life – Dr. Gratson 8/30 – 9/6 2016 ▪ Effects interpersonal communication
>>> TD continued… TD is noted as:
Michael L. Smith >>> “The belief that social progress is driven by technological innovation, which in turn follows an “inevitable course.” - Smith
Bruce Bimber >>> “The idea that technological development determines social change…” – Bimber
Rosalind Williams >>> “Technology determines history.” – Williams
Points of TD Change technology Don't forget about the age old question of math 209 concordia
Change the economy
Change the world
- social/cultural progress by technology innovation.
Important Areas of Tech TWO Important Areas Tech is
1. Predictable path largely beyond cultural or political influence.
2. Society organizes itself to support and develop a technology &
technology overall once being introduced.
Augmented Reality (AR) Live in real time display
Live, real world environment
Real time, 3D images augmenting real world.
Computer generated images overlapping real time pictures.
Impact of AR Allows reality info to come interactive and digitally obtainable. Advertising, education, entertainment
How does it work? >> tracking devices, fiducial markers
Fidiucal Marker Fiducal markers – objects placed in field view of imaging system appears in image for point of reference.
Tracking Devices Tracking Devices – tech involved in AR & ability to see position of input devices & image of objects in view of the device.
Virtual Reality - replicated environment, stimulates presence in real/imagine worlds - user interacts within worlds, generated worlds.
Sight >>> Producer – Eran May-Raz & Daniel Lazo
- “excellent, perfect” – constant affirmation
- character always looking to computer to tell him how wonderful he is.
- Nothing is actually present
o Sight system just generating images.
- Constant screens in his world (CNN)
Communications and Public Life – Dr. Gratson 8/30 – 9/6 2016 - Tells him what to do on the date
o Telling him to smile
o Tells him about her
o Controlled environment
o Points for compliments
o Forgets to take down the art she was interested in
o Alcohol is real
▪ Sees the dating app on the walls
- Negatively affects the human interaction, he pays attention to the info.
MCLUHAN ON TOMORROW FOR THURSDAY’S CLASS SEPT 7, 2016
- These are called CORNELL notes, they helped me receive very
high grades in classes like these with a lot of information and
- On the left side of the line are the important key
terms/theories/people we need to know so when you are looking
at the notes it’s easy to find them.
- I learned this technique and it got me through 4 years of college,
it’s a very successful way of learning.