Limited time offer 20% OFF StudySoup Subscription details

MSU - GEOG 1123 - Class Notes - intro to World Geography - GR 1123

Created by: Taylor Baker Elite Notetaker

> > > > MSU - GEOG 1123 - Class Notes - intro to World Geography - GR 1123

MSU - GEOG 1123 - Class Notes - intro to World Geography - GR 1123

This preview shows pages 1 - 2 of a 5 page document. to view the rest of the content
background image Intro to World Geography Week 5: September 12-16, 2016 - Illegal Drug Smuggling - Cocaine, Heroin, and Marijuana - cocaine is usually from Colombia, Venezuela - most marijuana is grown in Mexico biggest problem is Juarez, MX - across from El Paso, TX
- authorities usually are bribed and involved
- 3075 murders in Juarez (2011) - on average 8 people die each day - lots of kidnapping in Middle America - deforestation - 2/3 of Middle America had tropical rain forest before the 
Europeans arrived
- only 10% of these areas remain today - Reasons: - industries desire tropical woods for $$$
- population increases and the need for land 
     increases - Mexico - Desert in the North, Tropical mountains in the South - 77% of Mexico’s population is urban - North Mexico = more Wealthy (around or slightly above 
$10,000 USD a year)
- South Mexico = less wealthy (less than $5,000 USD a year) - Guatemala - became independent from Mexico in 1838 - Largest population of any other Central American state 
(over 15 million)
- Militarized government - Exports: minerals (nickel) from the mountains; oil is 
predominant in the lowlands
- coffee is grown in the mountains - El Salvador - became independent from Spain in 1821 - 1980 civil war - many fled to US - democratic government - has added manufacturing job - poverty, crime, natural disasters
background image - Exports: coffee, sugar, rice, shrimp, beef - Belize - AKA British Honduras - population is mostly African decent - commercial exports: seafood, clothing industry - Economy: tourism, Offshore banking - Honduras - Third poorest country after Haiti and Nicaragua - mostly agriculture producing - forestry, mining, bananas, coffee, shellfish - recently plagued with natural disasters - hurricanes - internal conflicts of power makes it unstable       economically
- trying to expand its tourism sector
- Costa Rica - contains 7% of the worlds biodiversity - highest standards of living, literacy rate, and life 
expectancy of any Central American country
- Agriculture and Tourism are huge  - bananas, coffee, tropical fruit and seafood - also charter fishing is big has lost 80% of its rainforests - laws have been passed to protect the       remaining 20% - Panama - very mountainous - Panama Canal makes the country’s economy - hundreds of millions of dollars in tolls  - 14,000 ships a year Exports: sugarcane, rice, seafood, and bananas
Isthmus - land bridge
- Republic of Cuba - largest Caribbean Island in size and population - 11.3 million people - mostly poor (still drive 1950s cars due to the 
embargo with US)
exports: tobacco, coffee, and rice
- also, Cigars (for the US, at least) due to trade embargo
government: communist

This is the end of the preview. Please to view the rest of the content
Join more than 18,000+ college students at Mississippi State University who use StudySoup to get ahead
School: Mississippi State University
Department: Geography
Course: Intro World Geography
Term: Fall 2016
Tags: geography, world, GEOG, and notes
Name: intro to World Geography - GR 1123 Week Five
Description: End of Middle America and beginning of South America
Uploaded: 09/19/2016
5 Pages 9 Views 7 Unlocks
  • Better Grades Guarantee
  • 24/7 Homework help
  • Notes, Study Guides, Flashcards + More!
Join StudySoup for FREE
Get Full Access to MSU - GEOG 1123 - Class Notes - Week 5
Join with Email
Already have an account? Login here
×
Log in to StudySoup
Get Full Access to MSU - GEOG 1123 - Class Notes - Week 5

Forgot password? Reset password here

Reset your password

I don't want to reset my password

Need help? Contact support

Need an Account? Is not associated with an account
Sign up
We're here to help

Having trouble accessing your account? Let us help you, contact support at +1(510) 944-1054 or support@studysoup.com

Got it, thanks!
Password Reset Request Sent An email has been sent to the email address associated to your account. Follow the link in the email to reset your password. If you're having trouble finding our email please check your spam folder
Got it, thanks!
Already have an Account? Is already in use
Log in
Incorrect Password The password used to log in with this account is incorrect
Try Again

Forgot password? Reset it here