TO GET BIGLER
810 109 The plant kingdom/Plant life cycles 09/13 / 2016 Plant PHOTOGENY - plant geneology nos discular) 1 • Bryophytes mosses and liverwarto lack Xylem & Phloem. 20 seediess vascular Ferns B. Gymnosperm
to Angiosperm flowering plants * PLANTS RETAIN EM BK yos -plant sexual reproduction
gametes = sperm & legg
Hozygote fertilized egg Mitosis) becomes DIPLOID organism
DIPLOID 2 @ chromosomes 2Njar
HAPLOID I chomosome 1N gametes)
meiosis + [makes 2N TO INSPORES] + miteosis + Haploid MALTOCIC Cell division growth and repair
If you want to learn more check out How do the elites get power?
101 ) * EXACT COPIES OF DNA (daughter cells)
Icir: reproduchon division
(4 unique US MEIOSIS * 1/2 the DNA gametes Chaploid daughter cells)
sporophyre - 2N (DIPLOID) * interchangebie We also discuss several other topics like Who is brian r. hunt?
point in life where plant is liberating spores. - gametophyte = 1N CHAPLOID)"
gametes-point in plant's cycle. -Green Algae features in common w/ plants *
bogamy oplant-like o "Rooted • Branches LDOESNT RETAIN EMBRYO - EMBRYOPHYTE - plants all RETAIN an EMBRYO
1+ BRYOPHYTES = mosses I liver worts
most primitive plant o retains embryo (Alternation of generations) Dominant generation is the haploid gametophure generation upon which 2NSporophyte We also discuss several other topics like What is the romanesque?
generation developed & is dependant
* most of plants life is spent making eggs/sperm-gamete unique * Also, lacks Xylem of Phlome We also discuss several other topics like What is the general air cycle?
9/13/2016 Sphagnam poles noss courbon Storage
peat moss - absorbant (history-dress wounds, primi hue diapers...) - Bryophytes are very small (be they lack vascular tissue), Food for, florists)
mammals/birds, prevent soll erosion, comercially (feel, soil conditionnal - LIVERWORTS = most simple - SUPER dependent on water We also discuss several other topics like What might be the inherent flaw in the concept of literary
• vs. moss mosses have the stomata) *NO STOMATA * cannot regulate water loss - poret on epidermis that doesnt close
Gemmae in cupue - asexual (relateeks) reproduction needs water for reproduction-water to mobilize sperm F ALTERNATION OF GENERATIONS
- Animals - gametic merosis - production of egg/ sperm. - Fungi - zygotic merosis - zygore undergoes merosis - always Hapton - Plants - acest
• need water for sexual reproducnon water to mobilize. Don't forget about the age old question of How does cholesterol affect membrane fluidity?
spean spores = dispersal unit bc they dont have seeds - the ANTHERIDA - makes le houses Sperm in all plants: MALE) -the ARCHEGONIA = Female housing for egg...
2016 FERNS Ş FERN ALLIE Horsetails, club mosses, ķ Ferns - PHYLA
•Has vascular tissue Xylem (conducts water), phloem (conducts sugar). hylum - Psilophyta - WHISK FERNS
-Sphenophyta - EQUISETUM
lyrophyta - CLUB Moss - Prerophyta - TRUE FERNS whisk ferns
- most primitive of living phyla : no ROOTS, no LEAVES L photosynthetic stems Dichotomous Branches forking & Equisetum
-most ancient l scoring rush - Silica ll Horsetails
sporanga in strobilus, club moss leaves are spirally anu ananged ll evergreen II Strobilus
) Study Soup
• spore tetrads opores stick together - Flamable (flash photography)
Ferns Typical: Horizantal stem Rhizome I leaves: Frondall sporangia on back side of leaves : sori
fern fiddle heads -coilled baby fern. - super duper deverse - highest #of species
Sporophyte dominate generation / spores-dispersa unite Il water
for reproduchor Has vascular tissues a I lospores germinate to create gametophytes]
Gametophyte (=prothallus) Bisexual & photosynthetic.
- man nuh?
Gymnosperm . HASSEEDS!!
Seeds have outer prodective layers (protection & nutrients for developin
IN Megagametophyte NUTRIENT I 2N seed coat PROTECTON * Doesnt need water for reproduchon - Wind sperm & POLEN Goog opollen grain has wings to fly whe wind.
- FOUR GROUPS 3. goma cont 1. cycadophyta - CYCADS
babya 2. Ginkgophyta - GINGKO BILOBA
3. Coniferophyta - PINUS / CONIFERS
4. Gnetophyta - GNETUM. CYCAOS [ropical]
palms fer palmsunday / 10016 cones / Dinosaur agellcones are loxic) -GINKO BILOBO
"only lwing species top selling herbal remedy
female stinky seed -GNETUM (African vegatable]
Cephedra ephedrian decongestant & Meth..I tea o - Pinus colevatest + CONTFERS
•Christmas trees Iconifers cones / most DIVERSE Economic uses-o lumber / LOIRGEST: Sequoia Tauest Redwood
oldest living tree species-longest life!
vid to catch
male cones mere
Female ule of pollen auf pine cone
naked seeds behol
fruit to cover seeds) -wind dispersal of pollen up to neighboring female
seed coat protects embryo from elements like UV rays,
heat, decay (bacterial & Gymnosperm significances.
• Ecological importance: -
-food/ nabitat for wild life ll-prevent soil erosion
- reduces greenhouse effect gases (winter-con goes up)
• Economic & commencial importances.
- lumber for wood, paper. etc - Resins - wood, furniture
ornamental plants aka landscaping
-food - pine nuts (pesto)
PLANT UNG DOM Review
summary 1. Bryophytes
• Draw and label a gymnosperm seed Canossesliver cuorts)
a embryo lack of vascular tissue dispersal
Wh-sead coat Dominate gametophytegen water for 2 Ferns & Allies
female gametophyte (food) "contains Xe Ph
• know entire life cycle Dominate sporophyte gen. I
*word bank is provided 13. Gymnosperms a
(Sporangia spore bearing) Has seeds!! naked (vascular hissue
spore mother cells . Dom, sporophygare Polien (sperm] : wind!