BMS 503 (Microbiology)
Study Guide #2
1. Bacteria that are able to survive in humans (at human body temperature) are known as:
2. D period is the stage of the cell cycle where:
a. DNA replication occurs, DNA polymerase can replicate
b. Binary fission occurs, cell divides
c. Cell increases in size and mass
d. Cell dies
3. The stage in the growth cycle of batch culture where there is the largest increase in number of cells is called the ________ phase
4. True or False: every base in a DNA sequence is converted into proteins T or F
5. On which site of DNA do transcriptional regulators bind?
a. Minor groove
b. Major groove
c. Histone complex
d. Active site
6. What happens to a cell if the lac operon promoter is damaged?
7. What is the ideal pH for alkaliphiles?
8. What is the correct way to write the name of a gene?
9. What happens to an enzyme if the pH is too high or too low in a cell? 10. What is an obligate aerobe? We also discuss several other topics like What does the word "phagocytosis" mean in medical terms?
11. What regulates the synthesis of galactosidase? β
c. Induction and catabolite repressionWe also discuss several other topics like How does the icf define disability?
d. Active site
12. At what stage in the batch culture growth cycle is the number of viable cells equal to the number of dead cells?
13.What causes a batch culture to switch from the exponential stage to the stationary stage? If you want to learn more check out What is the best example of a primary group?
If you want to learn more check out What are the seven major neurotransmitters?
We also discuss several other topics like What is meant by a consensus decision?
14. I am growing a culture of E coli, I initially start with 50 bacteria in my culture. I then let them grow for three hours. If the generation time for E coli is 20 minutes, how many bacteria will I have at the end of the 3 hours?
15. In a chemostat, what is the most effective way to increase the number of bacteria that will be produced?
a. Increase the pH
b. Increase the temperature
c. Increase the concentration of nutrients
d. Decrease the temperature
16.What happens to a cell during C period?
17.What is the purpose of a thioglycollate broth?
18. What is an aerotolerant anaerobe? Don't forget about the age old question of What is memory and the processes involved?
19.Describe the efficiency of a cell’s growth rate if the optimal temperature is exceeded 20. What is the central dogma?