(Day 6) 10/17/16
- Media Fast Report
- Best ones
- Phase 1: Golden Phase – Deal w/ it
- Phase 2: Overly Deep Self Reflection Stoner Moment – I feel strange but also good
- Phase 3: Hell Yes I Only Have One More Hour
- Main takeaway = Life becomes defined by participation in the Culture Industry.
- Epistemology = study of knowledge
- Universities = epistemology machines
- 12th C. Europe
- concept has religious background
- Sientia Donum Dei Est = knowledge is a gift from
- Divine Power has knowledge; gives knowledge to
- Renaissance (14th – 17th C)
- New interest in place of human beings in larger world Don't forget about the age old question of Describe and illustrate cradle to cradle model.
- 1700s: Explosive growth of middle-class reading
- Humans began thinking about commercial
potential of their ideas
- “If all knowledge was derived from the
senses working upon nature … there
was no room left for divine
- Enlightenment (17th – 18th C)
- New emphasis on reason, analysis, & individualism,
rather than traditional authority
- “If there is something you know, communicate it.
If there is something you want to know, ask it.”
- Very slippery context
- Go to News companies
- New York Times We also discuss several other topics like South carolina is divided into two lambert zones. what are they?
- Google News
- 2012, Facebook study on emotions
- when exposed to “negative” stories, users = more likely to stay off Facebook
(Day 6) 10/17/16
- Very flexible
- Percent of Americans who “trust” news media = 30%
- 51% of Democrats
- 30% Independents
- 13% Republican
- Urban legends tend to sprout up during times of anxiety
- Clown sightings
- When aren’t there low levels of trust in official institutions & sources of information?
1. Agenda Setting = more coverage story gets, more people are interested
2. Cultivation Effect = more people consume a type of media, more they perceive the world around them to be like that media 3. Spiral of Silence = people will stay silent if they believe they are in the minority
4. Third-Person Effect = everyone else is susceptible to media messages, but not me!
5. Confirmation Bias = tendency to search for information that confirms preexisting beliefs
- How often do you deliberately seek out viewpoints opposed to / different than own?
(Day 7) 10/19/16
- Caution: Legitimacy requires the consent of the governed.
- “Consent can be manufactured” – Brian McNair
- Here’s the Problem
- Keep public away from decision making process
- But try to make public THINK they are participating
- When all else fails, distract people from important stuf
- “Calculated strategies of distraction” – Kathleen Jamison - complicated If you want to learn more check out What is the importance of the unconscious and childhood relationships in shaping personality?
- Spin Industry
- Industry designed to spin of stories & events to favor one side - Formed in 1950s
- Spin Room = designated area where journalists conduct interviews w/ politicians or their representatives after a debate
- 1952: Adlai Stevenson v. Dwight Eisenhower
- one knew how to use tv to support his campaign
(Eisenhower); won We also discuss several other topics like What were the three possibilities of this mountain's activity?
- 1960; John Kennedy v. Richard Nixon
- Kennedy won; featured 1st Presidential Debate; 1st Debate on tv
- Nixon didn’t know how to use tv as an advantage
- 1964; Lyndon Johnson v. Barry Goldwater; Johnson won - 1968; Richard Nixon won; paid people to do tv commercials - 1972; Nixon reelected; impeached due to corruption
- 1980; Reagan “Lets Make America Great Again”, talks about how USA has improved
- Concepts needed
- Strategic communication changes political parties
- 1858; William “Boss” Tweed (party organizer)
- got people to vote for who he wanted
- 2016; Jennifer Palmieri (Clinton Communication lead)
- Strategic communication changes political leaders
- Celebrity Apprentice
- Ronal Raegan on tv “Girl From Jones Beach”
(Day 7) 10/19/16
- Strategic communication makes politics more resource intensive (aka expensive)
- Good tv commercials cost a lot of money
- 2012 Obama Campaign = $721 million
- 2016 Clinton = $780 million
- Strategic communication makes popular culture central to politics - Presidential candidates go on talk shows
- Strategic communication amplifies emotion & afect
- Strategic communication undermines deliberate modes - Strategic communication undermines power of press
- Strategic communication creates permanent campaigns - Day after Presidential Election, people start campaigning for next election
- 4 years from now!!
- Watch out for distractions!