Survey of Chemistry: Study Guide
● If the pressure of a gas rises, the gas molecules will strike the walls of its container more frequently. (Assume that the container has a definite shape and volume.)
● A catalyst acts by raising the amount of energy available for a reaction to occur. False
● The Arrhenius theory explains why ammonia, NH3, is basic, but the BronstedLowry theory does not.
● Chlorinated hydrocarbons have been used as insecticides.
● What is the formula of copper(I) sulfide?
● An oxidizing agent is itself oxidized.
● The mass percent of a solution that has 0.25 mol of NaOH in 100 g of solution is 4.0% False
● Mendeleev was the first person to attempt to arrange the elements in a systematic order. False
● Ionic compounds generally form between metals and nonmetals.
● An explosion is a rapid chemical reaction that results in a considerable increase in volume. True
● Polyethylene has double bonds.
● Sulfuric acid is an excellent dehydrating agent and will remove water from the cells of skin. True
● The carboxyl functional group contains both a carbonyl group and an amino group. False
● A plasticizer makes a material more flexible and less brittle by raising its glass transition temperature (Tg). Don't forget about the age old question of What are the Purpose of a Victims Rights Amendment?
● A solution is a heterogeneous mixture.
● One engages in basic research to discover knowledge for the sake of knowing, while one engaged in applied research is usually directing that research toward a specific goal. True
● Radioactivity is the spontaneous emission of radiation from an unstable element. True
Don't forget about the age old question of What is the nation-state?
● The name of the two carbon alkane is ________.
● Anions migrate toward the cathode.
● Heat will always flow from a warmer object to a cooler object. Don't forget about the age old question of What does reciprocal influence mean?
● Nylon is an example of a condensation polymer.
● Substance A contains 75% carbon and 25% hydrogen. Substance B contains 80% carbon and 20% hydrogen. A and B are the same substance.
● It is possible to prove that an hypothesis is absolutely true.
● Zinc is oxidized in the following reaction:
Zn + 2 H+ → Zn2+ + H2
● During a chemical reaction, matter can neither be created nor destroyed.
● Most of the mass of an atom is located in the nucleus of the atom.
● An atom with eight valence electrons will only form a bond with one other atom. False
● The compound sodium chloride has the same properties as the elements from which it is made.
● Thermosetting polymers can be melted and reformed into different shapes. False
● A weak acid will always be less concentrated than a strong acid.
● The stoichiometric factor relates the number of grams of any two substances in a balanced chemical equation.
● Chemistry is the study of matter and the changes it undergoes.
● A buffer solution will become much more acidic when even a small amount of a strong acid is added.
● The number of protons in a cation must always be ________ the number of electrons. greater than
● Scientists can observe computer enhanced images of atoms. We also discuss several other topics like What is proposed theories on methods of studying creativity?
If you want to learn more check out What is in the reticular region of the dermis?
We also discuss several other topics like What are the Basics of Social Psyc?
● Composition and structure are both terms used to describe the kinds of atoms that are present in a substance.
● The mass of a nucleon is approximately four times the mass of a hydrogen atom. False
● When the following equation is balanced, what is the coefficient for H2O? H2 + Ta2O3 → Ta + H2O
● Leucippus and Democritus based their ideas about atoms on careful experimental results. False
● When an acid and a base react in a neutralization reaction, the products will be acidic. False
● Pure oxygen is obtained by liquefying air and then boiling off the nitrogen and argon. True
● Crystalline polymers tend to have great strength while amorphous polymers tend to have greater elasticity.
● Melting is the change from the ________ state to the ________ state.
● Excited state electrons gain energy when they move to the ground state. False
● Amines are acidic compounds.
● As the number of carbons increases, the boiling point of alkanes decreases. False