1) Know what UNCLOS is.
-The United Nations Conference on the Law of the Sea
2) What is meant by “territorial sea”.
-Zone of seawater adjacent to a country’s coast, held to be a part of the national territory and treated as a component of the sovereign state.
3) Define “medial line”
- An international maritime boundary drawn where the width of the sea is less than 400 nautical miles. Because the states on either side of that sea claim exclusive economic zones (EEZ) of 200 nautical miles, it is necessary to reduce those claims to a median distance equidistant to from each shoreline. Delimitation on the map almost always appears a set of straight-line segments that reflect the configurations of the coastlines involved.
4) Know where Melanesia, Micronesia, and Polynesia are, and which countries are in each.
Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, New Caledonia, Fiji
Palau, Federated States of Micronesia, Northern Mariana Islands, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Nauru, western Kiribati, Guam
Hawaiian Islands, Samoa, American Samoa, Tuvalu, Tonga, eastern Kiribati, Cook and other New Zealand administered islands, French Polynesia, Easter Island
5) Know where population clusters are within the regions.
Papua New Guinea
6) Know the origin of the several country’s populations. (ancestry)
Papua New Guinea (New Guineans, Papuans), Solomon Islands (Papuans, Austronesians, Lapitans ) New Caledonia (Lapita), Fiji (Fijians or Lapitans)
Western Kiribati ( Micronesians) , Federated States of Micronesia (Micronesians) Northern Mariana Islands (Micronesians) Republic of the Marshall Islands (Micronesians) Nauru (Micronesians and Polynesians) Guam (Austronesians) We also discuss several other topics like What is the history of design?
Hawaiian Islands (Polynesians) Samoa (Austronesian) American Samoa (Samoans) Tuvalu (Tuvaluans) Tonga, (Tongans) eastern Kiribati (Micronesians) Cook and other New Zealand administered islands (Tahitians) French Polynesia (Austronesians) Easter Island (Polynesians)
7) Know which “Mother countries” administered which country.
Papua New Guinea (Australia), Solomon Islands (Australia) New Caledonia (France), Fiji (Britain) We also discuss several other topics like what are the Two ways to regulate metabolism?
Western Kiribati ( Britain) Palau (Spain) Federated States of Micronesia, (Spain, Germany, Japan) Northern Mariana Islands (Spain) Republic of the Marshall Islands, (Spain, Germany, Japan) Nauru (Germany) Guam (Spain)
Hawaiian Islands (United States) Samoa (Germany, New Zealand) American Samoa (United States) Tuvalu (Britain) Tonga (Britain) eastern Kiribati (Britain) Cook and other New Zealand administered islands, French Polynesia (France) Easter Island (Chile)
8) Know the difference between High islands and low islands.
Volcanic, High elevations/rugged relief, well-watered, good soils, agricultural diversity, tend to have larger populations We also discuss several other topics like What is an argument?
Include majority of the realm’s islands, composed of coral, low elevation/relief, drought is common, fishing and coconut palms are mainstays, threatened by sea level rise due to global warming.
9) Which countries are politically affiliated with the United States?
-Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, American Samoa, the Philippines, the Marshall Islands, Palau, Micronesia
10) Know which countries can make valid claims to territory in Antarctica. -Argentina, Australia, Britain, Chile, France, New Zealand, Norway
11) What is an Atoll?
-A ring-like coral reef surrounding an empty lagoon that probably formed around the rim of a now-completely eroded volcanic cone standing on the seafloor. They are common in certain tropical areas of Pacific Ocean where they are classified among the realm’s low islands.
12) What is meant by a “200-nautical-mile fishing zone?
-Exclusive Economic Zone, over which a coastal state would have total economic rights. Resources in and under this EEZ (fish, minerals, oil and gas) belong to the coastal state and they have rights over it. We also discuss several other topics like Lex Talionis is attractive because
13) What is an EEZ?
-Exclusive Economic Zone
14) Which region is the most populate?
15) Is the Polynesian culture the same throughout the islands?
-It is remarkably consistent and and uniform, however local cultures nearly everywhere are severely stressed by external influences.
16) Which country stands to gain the most from opening the Arctic?
-Russia. The estimates of quantity of oil and gas found beneath the Arctic seafloor and ice run as high as 25% percent of the world’s remaining total, so eventually Russia wants to control that.
17) Understand what the Wellington Agreement is.
-A 1991 extension of the Antarctic Treaty of 1961.
18) Study Figure 12-2 in your text.
We also discuss several other topics like b) What distribution should be used to test the claim?
19) Study Figure 12-3 in your text.
20) Study Figure 12-4 in your text.
If you want to learn more check out What is Monogamy?
21) Study Figure 12-5 in your text.