Study Soup Weekly Notes: Chapter 1 Chapter 1: Using Technology to Change the World
Lesson #2- How Will Technology Improve Your Life?
∙ Technology at Home
o Computer literate- “being familiar enough with computes that you understand their capabilities and limitations and that you know how to use them safely and efficiently” o How to be computer literate:
▪ Avoiding hackers and viruses
▪ Protect your privacy
▪ Understand the real risks
∙ Privacy and security risks
▪ Use the web wisely
▪ Avoid online annoyances
∙ Spam- “electronic junk mail”
∙ Software programs- “the instructions that tell the computer what to do”
▪ Be able to maintain, upgrade, and troubleshoot your computer
o What does it mean to be Computer Literate?
▪ You can avoid falling prey to hackers and viruses because you are aware how they operate
▪ You know how to protect yourself from identity theft
▪ You can separate the real privacy and security risks from things you don’t have to worry about
▪ You know how to find the information and use the web effectively
▪ You can avoid being overwhelmed by spam, adware, and spyware Don't forget about the age old question of What is the meaning of public issues in sociology?
▪ You know to diagnose and fix problems with your hardware and software
∙ Technology and Your Career
o Information Technology (IT)- “field of study focused on the management and processing of information and the automatic retrieval of information
o Retail: Working in a Data Mine
▪ Data mining- “the process of searching huge amounts of data with the hope of finding a pattern”
o Arts: Ink, Paints, and a Laptop Don't forget about the age old question of What is the meaning of cataplexy in narcolepsy?
▪ Many artists work exclusively with computers
▪ Mastery of software such as Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, and Corel Painter is essential to creating digital art
o Education: Teaching and Learning
▪ The education industry uses computer technology in numerous ways
▪ Courses are designed around course management software such as blackboard or Moodle
∙ Allows students to communicate outside class, take quizzes online, and
find their class materials easily
▪ The internet serves as an effective research tool for students
▪ Online courses: KhanAcademy.org, Florida Virtual School, etc.
o Law Enforcement
▪ Computer forensics- “analyzes computer systems with specific techniques to gather potential legal evidence”
▪ Biomedical chip research provides technical solutions to physical problems and a means for identifying individuals Don't forget about the age old question of What is fundamental attribution error in psychology?
We also discuss several other topics like Is the genetic changes of a population from generation to generation?
We also discuss several other topics like What is the meaning of simple quadrilateral?
o Science: stimulating reality
▪ Scientists create models and simulation for natural and archeological events o Psychology We also discuss several other topics like What is the meaning of the need to belong in psychology?
▪ Affective computing- “developing systems that can recognize and stimulate human emotions”