HY 104 Midterm Study Guide: MARCH 2ND
I. Identifications – Ten of the keywords from the PowerPoint slides will be on your midterm. You must choose and answer five of them. (5 points each, 25 points total)
II. Short Answer – Three of the following questions will be on your midterm. You must choose and answer one of them. (25 points)
1. To paraphrase WEB DuBois, following emancipation the freed slaves stepped out of the darkness and stood for a moment erect in the sunlight before descending into the darkness again. What does DuBois mean by this? Do you agree?
2. How was Edward Bellamy’s utopia informed by the late nineteenth century? How did he attempt to solve the problems of industrial capitalism?
3. How was whiteness debated and defined in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century? Why was this a political issue?
4. Explain the debate between imperialists and anti-imperialists at the turn of the twentieth century. What arguments did each side use? If you want to learn more check out gatrone
5. In what ways did the 1920s represent both a loosening of social mores and a rise of social conservatism?
6. What change to California agriculture does John Steinbeck advocate for? How is his depiction of migrant labor influenced by ideas about race and gender?
III. Essay – Three of the following questions will be on your midterm. You must choose and answer one of them. (50 points)
1. Compare and contrast the ways in which three of the following groups imagined or pursued freedom between 1865 and 1939: African Americans, industrial workers, women, farmers, and Filipinos.
2. How and why does America’s role on the global stage change during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries?
3. What reasons might Americans at the end of the 19th century have for optimism about the country’s future? Why might Americans feel concerned?
4. How did the understanding of what it meant to be an American change from 1865 to 1939?
5. How did Americans’ relationship to the government change from the late nineteenth century to the 1930s?
6. Explain how trade and finance influenced American foreign policy from 1870 to 1920.
Congressional/Radical Reconstruction Special Field Order No. 15 If you want to learn more check out uww d2l
13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments Ulysses S. Grant
Compromise of 1877
Samuel B. Morse
Alexander Graham Bell
John D. Rockefeller
Knights of Labor
American Federation of Labor Samuel Gompers
The Great Railroad Strike
Birth of a Nation
William Jennings Bryan
Frederick Jackson Turner Boss Tweed
Sherman Antitrust Act Muckrakers
Food and Drug Act
Triangle Shirtwaist Fire Muller v. Oregon
Woman Suffrage Association National Woman’s Party Alice Paul
Playground Movement Eugenics
Chinese Exclusion Act Great Famine
Nativism We also discuss several other topics like poli 150 unc
White Workingman’s Party 1790 Naturalization Law Dennis Kearney Don't forget about the age old question of physics 121
Chinese Exclusion Act Gentlemen’s Agreement Immigration Act of 1917 Barred Asiatic Zone
In re Ah Yup
Ozawa v U.S.
U.S. v Bhagat Singh Thind Monroe Doctrine
William Randolph Hearst Joseph Pulitzer
John D. Long
Commodore George Dewey Rough Riders
San Juan Heights
Benevolent Assimilation White Man’s Burden
The Strenuous Life
Big Stick Diplomacy
Great White Fleet