Unit 2: Nazi Cinema
2/20/17 – 2/22/17
∙ 1,094 feature films made in Nazi era
o 941 were genre films
o Of these 941, 523 were comedies and musicals
∙ Rentschler argues 2 schools of thought
∙ His 5 premises
1. Cinema seen in context of totalitarian state’s attempt to remake German culture and politics
a. Important goal of Nazi cinema: overcoming Weimar cinema with new aesthetic
2. Nazi films meant to entertain
a. Joseph Goebbels – against direct propaganda
3. Orchestra principle: Nazi cinema plays part in overall program of creating new culture
4. Nazi culture was popular culture, not just “official art”
5. Nazi films aimed to be aesthetically pleasing and drew on traditional models of filmmaking, including American Cinema conventions If you want to learn more check out What is the study of words called?
II. Rentschler and Triumph of Will
∙ What’s entertaining about the film?
o **demonstration of power; technical elements of film; famous director; innovative shots; popularity Don't forget about the age old question of What gave the east india tea company a monopoly on tea imported into the colonies?
o Descent from Heavens; clouds supposed to be pretty; following Nazi plane though Nuremburg; shows all of follower; “his faithful followers”; gets out of plane to cheering masses of people; individuality: it pauses on peoples’ faces; seeing it on screen; pleasure of seeing Hitler close; seeing self represented; established shot then detail: shows unification of Nazis
∙ How to read as entertaining
∙ Conflict between Rentschler and film?
∙ Reich Labor Service
o What do we see?
Faces, drums, hands, shovels, soldiers
o Relation of state and individual?
All of Germany included Don't forget about the age old question of What is the relation between language, culture, and identity in these self-introductions?
Don't forget about the age old question of According to piaget, schemes are mental structures that infants use to understand the world. they use these to group similar things and with experience, these schemes change. the changes are called what?
If you want to learn more check out What is the meaning of durkheim’s anomie?
We also discuss several other topics like What is the meaning of social referencing?
o What do men say?
Talk about listening to Fuhrer
o How is what they say related to Nazi ideology?