Chapter 2 2-1-17
Brain and Behavior
How much of your brain do you use?
- You use 100% of your brain!
- Detects, amplifies, and records electrical activity in the brain Brain/Body Ratio Don't forget about the age old question of What makes his condition better?
Neuron and its Parts
Neuron – Individual nerve cell; 100 billion in brain
1) Soma: Cell body: receives and sends messages down axon Don't forget about the age old question of Cite some of the impacts of globalization.
2) Axon: Fiber that carries information away from the cell body We also discuss several other topics like What includes purchases of new capital goods as well as new housing?
3) Dendrites: Receive messages from other neurons
The nerve impulse: up to 200 mph down the axon
Myelin: Fatty layer that coats some axons We also discuss several other topics like What are the two different types of research essays?
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS): occurs when the myelin layer is destroyed; numbness, weakness, and paralysis occur
Synapse If you want to learn more check out What is a cycloid?
- Neurotransmitters: Chemicals that alter activity in neurons; brain chemicals o Dopamine: lack of this neurotransmitter gives rise to Parkinson’s disease
Parts of Brain
- Frontal Lobe: sense of smell, motor control, and higher mental abilities such as reasoning and planning If you want to learn more check out Why does hydrogen plays an important role in many industrial processes?
- Temporal Lobe: hearing and language
- Parietal Lobe: sensation such as touch, temp., and pressure
- Occipital Lobe: vision
- Cerebellum: posture, coordination, muscle tone, and memory of skills and habits
Central Nervous system (CNS)***: Brain and spinal cord
Peripheral Nervous System: All parts of the nervous system outside of the brain and spinal cord
Researching the Brain
1) Ablation: surgical removal of parts of the brain
2) Deep Lesioning: A thin wire electrode is lowered into a specific area inside the brain; destroys a small amount of brain tissue
3) Electrical Brain Stimulation (EBS): When an electrode is used with AC current to activate target areas in the brain
Chapter 2 2-1-17
Hypothalamus- Bilateral area (found in both sides of the brain) involved in the regulation of food intake and sexuality “pleasure center”
Hippocampus – Involved in the transfer of memory from short term memory into long term memory
- Case study of H.M. in the hospital after surgery which damaged his hippocampus
Split Brain Operation
- Corpus Callosum – Bundle of fibers connecting cerebral hemispheres When it is cut, it can control severe epilepsy
- 95% of humans use the left brain for language