Tuesday, September 5, 2017
Machiavelli- Book I Ch 5-6, 9-10
I. (Last Class) Mixed Government
II. (Last Class) Good Advice, Bad Men
III. Who Guards Liberty Best?
IV. Constituting a Republic
- Is there a solution to the cyclical way governments transform?
• To utilize some combination of all 3 of the key types of government, all people will be represented—an introduction to checks and balances on a gov’t system.
- Rome began with kingship and switched to an oligarchy of noblemen, it then merged toward a democracy with 2 consuls and a senate. These represented the noblemen and the populace. Don't forget about the age old question of Which functional groups contain carbon?
• Tribunes are members of the consuls who represent the populace. - They’re the democratic solution to the turmoil between classes, they represent the populace but also have the ability to stand on consul with the noblemen.
We also discuss several other topics like How do plate tectonics transform boundary?
• Having all of these transformations in the Roman gov’t. Permitted Rome to develop its constitution properly. Though it faced many upheavals, it was able to learn from its mistakes and from its governmental revolutions.
- Machiavelli believes that conflicts are often acceptable
• He believes that people should be assumed bad by the government and selfish instead of virtuous. This way the government can give them more leash the better they behave.
• Page 112: men do good only in necessity.
- Was Rome successful because of a good military?
• Only good order and good laws benefitted the state of Rome.
- Good laws make for good people.
- Salutory Conflict- the conflicts between the noblemen and the plebs 1
Tuesday, September 5, 2017
- Machiavelli believes that every government needs to allow plebs to express themselves and have ownership in their liberty.
- Who guards liberty?
• Liberty, for Machiavelli, is the is the liberty of all, not personal liberties. • Is liberty best guarded by the haves or the have nots? If you want to learn more check out What are the accurate resources of nutrition information?
- Machiavelli believes that the haves/noblemen should guard liberty because they are already at the top of the food chain. If the plebs were to guard it they would become greedy
• Republics tend to lose their grip on the government when too much liberty is given to the people
- The 3 party system in Venice worked because the people went to Venice for money and people who moved there were often coming from other places with much less liberty than Venice. So, when outsiders entered Venice and were unable to partake in the gov’t. It was normal to them.
• Because the city has such a positive economic system and no singular power holding position, people we content to work and to become 2nd tier, gov’t. Participating members of society.
- Rome was set up poorly because they were designed to be a powerful empire constantly taking on new territory. This discouraged the formation of a proper government and it allowed newcomers to join the government immediately to keep up with the rate that Rome was expanding.
- Who earns the ability to guard liberty? Don't forget about the age old question of What was the state of iron products during the eastern zhou china?
We also discuss several other topics like How does climate affect weathering rates?
We also discuss several other topics like Why are neuroglia also called as "nerve glue"?
• If the government needs to be stable and not war-thirsty, then the government and the nobles should guard the liberty of the people.
- Machiavelli believes that liberty should be guarded by the gov because it is more predictable than if It were guarded by the plebs. Contrastingly, in the case of Rome the plebs should have guarded liberty because the government was too stretched and the nation was seeking massive expansion quickly.
- THE ENDS JUSTIFY THE MEANS is one of the keys to understanding Machiavelli
• If you do terrible things it can be justified if something (creating a republic or a principality/granting a kingdom liberty) is accomplished.