Daniel Pink’s answer to “What motivates us?”
Self-direction, Mastery, Purpose
High performance work attributes ???? Job satisfaction & Employee engagement What makes work meaningful?
- Being self-aware, Hope, Resonant environment, Inspirational leadership, Ethical organization
- Ranges from engaged to actively disengaged
- Critical when it comes to customer satisfaction!
- Theories of motivation – how workers became productive and happy – were created Motivating behavioral change:
- Helps explain how people can change their behavior
- Helps us understand how we can motivate people to change their behavior Motivation Theories:
Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs, The Two-Factor, Three-Needs, Equity
SMART goals ???? essential in business
• Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Time-based
• Discussed in the “Organizational Planning” video
Strategic Planning Don't forget about the age old question of What is the annexation of crimea?
• Process of defining strategy and making decisions on allocation of resources • SWOT Analysis ???? type of strategic planning
o Looking inside ???? strengths and weaknesses
o Looking outside ???? opportunities and threats Don't forget about the age old question of What is the amortization of intangible assets?
1. Differentiation ???? Providing unique products, services, or features 2. Cost Leadership ???? Most competitive and low-priced when it comes to costs 3. Niche ???? Focusing on a specific section of the market If you want to learn more check out Who are the first people in north america to make pottery?
4. Vertical Integration ???? Improving cost and efficiency through effect management of supply chainIf you want to learn more check out What is the subtropical jet stream?
Types of plans
1. Long-term (1-5 years)
2. Short-term (1 year or less)
3. Single-use ???? For something that is going to happen just one time If you want to learn more check out What is oxymercuration?
4. Standing ???? On-going plans for tasks that happen repeatedly
5. Contingency ???? Plans to handle emergencies, weather, etc. (something that happens suddenly)
Mission statement ???? characterizes the company right now
• How companies differ from one another
Vision statement ???? the future of the company; the dream
• Must be inspirational, clear, and compelling
Board of Directors ???? Top Executives ???? Team leaders & managers ???? Operating workers ???? customers
• Traditional hierarchy
o Decisions made at top
o “command and control” model
o Information flows from top to bottom
• Flat organization
o Fewer levels and empowered employees
o Wider spans of control
• Silo Mentality
o Departments don’t communicate
o Efforts aren’t coordinated
• Matrix Structure
Decisions made at the top
- Easy to control
- More consistency
- Less duplication
Decisions made all over
- Employees close to problems decide - Fast
- More duplication
- Less consistency
Don't forget about the age old question of What is the top cause of death from 1900 to 1998?
Performance Management Process:
1. Set goals at every level
2. Track progress against goals
3. Measure end results
4. Reward efforts
- Capability or ability
o Can link to excellent job performance
- Kinds of competencies:
o Threshold ???? bare minimum required
o Differentiating ???? abilities that set people apart
o Cognitive ???? seeing the “big picture”
Keys to Effective Leadership:
Emotional competence (EQ), Power, Ethics
- How well we handle ourselves and others
- Not fixed at birth; grows over time as you mature
- Major factor in business success
o Key to managing people, Key to success in teams, Essential for leadership - Improving EQ
o Become emotionally literate
o Take responsibility for your feelings
o Use your feelings to help make decisions
o Show respect for other people's feelings
o Validate what other people are feeling
Model of Organizational Culture
- Clan culture ???? values collaboration among organizational members. - Hierarchy culture ???? internal focus and encourages stability and control. - Adhocracy culture ???? concentrate on innovation and creativity, respond well to changes in the environment.
- Market culture ???? has an external focus and encourages stability and control.