Study Guide: Exam 4
Guy Wathen and Stephanie Strasburg Franklin Street Shooting (video)
• Shooting happened in a nice neighborhood
• Issue: Reporters show up only when something bad happens in a place like that, but not when there is good stuff going on
Community standards: Tyler Hicks in Nairobi (NYT Lens blog)
• 9/11 photographs: Todd took picture of man (David) on ground of convenient store near twin tower collapse
o Todd and David used to work together so David felt Todd crossed a line • Dart Center for Journalism & Trauma – journalists who experience PTSD as result of what you cover, resources: teaches you how to handle you job when you have to cover tough news/take tough images and deal with the aftermath
Does violence affect journalists? ???? absolutely
Should journalists protect viewers from the “truth”? ???? bad things happen, but there has to be a standard
• Does proximity make a difference?
• Does social media change the equation? ???? so much more access on finding out what’s going on, ex. las vegas, boon and a curse
How aggressive should a journalist be covering breaking news? ???? think about how much are you going to show your audience. Can’t show too much or too little. You’re trying to be honest about what happened. Don't forget about the age old question of What is the importance of symbols in communication?
If you want to learn more check out What does dorsal root ganglion mean?
Boston Globe: Scenes from Boston Marathon explosions
• John Tlumacki: The making of iconic images
• No citizen journalism
John Tlumacki: in his own words
• The worst, most gruesome event he’s covered in his career
Two lives intersect: Jess Bauman and the Boston cowboy
• Image of man with leg blown off with cowboy man running with him, while woman is pushing his wheelchair
“Protecting” the audience
• Daily News Marathon massacre – celeste is Sydney’s mom and blonde woman waiting for boyfriend, edited the mother’s image of compound fracture
• DO NOT CHANGE WHAT’S THERE. YOU EITHER SHOW IT OR YOU DON’T. • They attempted to protect the audience by editing the image – WRONG Raw Video
• Marathon live bombing video shows how fast things actually happened • Steve Silva’s footage We also discuss several other topics like How does the wealth effect influence the slope of ad?
Value of professional journalists (video)
• John Tlumacki – said that the way you communicate with photograph is emotion
John Tlumacki – got in touch with survivors after photographs as much as possible • Both him and survivors found it therapeutic to meet again
• Tlumacki follows Celeste (mother) and Sydney (daughter) – picture of them shopping at mall showing them going back to normal life
Important about reporting of Boston Marathon:
• The Boston Globe and the NYT repurposed the breaking news coverage to give the content a second life
• They added value by engaging audience in reporting process or by repackaging content in a way that had increased production value
• Both strategies added context and clarity to the coverage – past peak, going into end of story arc
NY Post on Boston Marathon Bombers
• ‘Bag Men’ – Feds seek these two pictured at Boston Marathon
• They took picture and ran it on the front page assuming because he looked like the profile they were searching for, but he was NOT the bomber
Curating Breaking News
• NYT: crowdsourced, took everybody at finish line and find out what their stories were. Tagged self in finish line photo with explosion next to finish line and spoke about themselves and their experiences.
• Boston Globe – Five days in April: went through the bombing at the first day and then the following 4 days. They don’t show the gruesome photos because by that point the audiences have seen them over and over again so you don’t have to show them. But they did show the caos, which is always effective. We also discuss several other topics like What are some events that support global climate patterns?
We also discuss several other topics like What services does mea serve?
Rexnord factory workers: story about losing jobs to Mexico – documented through interviewing Don't forget about the age old question of What is the contribution of arthur keith in anthropology?
Top Hat questions:
1. What is the most common reason for journalists to commit plagiarism? a. Journalist is a pathological liar who is willing to do anything to avoid failure. b. Journalists under pressure, takes short cuts to avid failure and gets caught
2. What were the consequences for Allen Detrich after he was caught digitally altering a photo?
a. The credibility of his most important work – children of the underground – was compromised
b. He was fired
c. No mainstream journalism organizations in the US would publish his work d. All of the above
e. None of the above