Final Geo Review
1. Westernmost north America formed by the uplift of the coast ranges and accretion of exotic terranes during the Cenozoic.
2. We are in an interglacial interval of the Pleistocene
3. Which basic structural feature characterizes the basin and range province of the western united states?
1. Horst and graben
4. The eastern margin of north America changed from an active margin to a passive one after the Paleozoic.
5. During the Cenozoic, the western margin of southern California and northern Mexico shifted to which type of tectonic margin?
1. Transform/ strike-slip
6. A remnant of which plate is being subducted along northern California and the Pacific Northwest?
7. A positive excursion in the oxygen isotope curve indicates:
1. Ice growth/ global cooling
8. U-shaped mountain valleys like those of the Sierra Nevada are indicative of: 1. Glaciation
9. The Holocene Epoch represents about the last ___ years.
10. Sea-level rise in Scandinavia and the mid-Atlantic region of the US results partly from isostatic rebound.
11. Antartica currently stores about 90% of Earth’s ice.
12. Rapid climate change during the Holocene occurs on time scales of: 1. sub-Milankovitch cycles Don't forget about the age old question of What was the free labor ideology?
13. The Younger Dryas was presumably triggered by which of the following? 1. Massive outflow of freshwater into the North Atlantic Ocean
14. Ice-rafted debris (Heinrich events) are evidence of:
1. Repeated ice growth over the North Atlantic Ocean
2. Rapid climate change on millennial time scales
15. ___ dominant land plants of the latest Paleozoic and most of the Mesozoic 1. Gymnosperms
16. Late cretaceous massive extinction caused by:
1. impact/ massive volcanism
17. Bryce Canyon National Park consists of hoodoos formed by the weathering of: 1. Freshwater limestone
18. High sea level during the Cretaceous is best indicated by which of the following lithologies?
1. Alluvial fans
19. The Laramie Orogeny was characterized by:
1. The production of intermontane basins and large lakes
20. The Mesozoic Era consists of:
1. Triassic, Jurassic, and Cretaceous
21. Sea-level neared its present level by:
1. 7,000 years ago
22. Recent volcanic activity in the cascade mountains is a response to the subduction of the: We also discuss several other topics like What are common problems in friendships?
We also discuss several other topics like What is cultural framing?
1. Juan de Fuca plate
23. The Cenozoic dod and the Moas of New Zealand were exterminated by: 1. Humans If you want to learn more check out What is fiscal policy?
24. Cliffs of fine chalk of the Niobara formation from western Kansas formed by: 1. Cretaceous Floods Don't forget about the age old question of What is fecundity?
25. Which of the following is correct about San Andreas Fault: If you want to learn more check out Does flirting signal romantic interest?
1. Runs from the Gulf of California to northern California
2. Transports the pacific plate northwest relative to the North American Plate