HIST1020 EXAM 2 STUDY GUIDE
1. The British presence in India was called what?
2. What Muslim dynasty started to fracture within India by 1750? How did this effect Britain?
3. What is Sepoy? Why did they revolt against their British command? What was this revolt called?
4. What was established as the British government in India? What did they encourage the production of?
5. What were the positive and negative impacts British rule had on India?
6. What was the outcome of the Boer War?
7. South Africa was being ruled by Britain, but it eventually turned power over to who?
8. What Imperial regime pounded the worst and harshest circumstances of any colony?
9. With the help of Henry Stanley, who took the Belgian Congo under their control and How?
10. A labor force was used in the Belgian Congo for the extraction of what commodity?
11. The _____________________________ was a private army of Europeans that served under local members in the Congo. Used to invade villages and demand labor from them.
12. Who brought Europe to the attention of the terrible conditions in the Congo?
13. Who brought the issues of the Congo to British government and eventually had it appealed to the Belgian Parlement to step up and end Leopold’s regime? Don't forget about the age old question of What caused the warring states period?
14. WWI began in ________ and ended in ______ . (dates). 15. What was the main cause of WWI?
16. What place was once controlled by the Ottoman Empire and now wanted to create a whole Slavic nation?
17. Serbs were trapped in ___________________________________ under Habsburg control. These Serbs wanted to be a part of Serbia.
18. Who were apart of the Triple Alliance and who was a part of the Triple Entante?
19. Describe the Arms race
20. What was the final straw that sparked WWI? We also discuss several other topics like What was plato's view of the good?
21. What was the Schlieffen Plan?
22. What is war of attrition?
23. A war of no movement during WWI was called what?
24. What was the Battle called in which Germany decides to bleed France dry to break the stalemate? What does this become?
25. Who was used to stir up Arab nationalism that ultimately creates a distraction within the Ottoman Empire to break the stalemate in WWI?
26. How did soldiers become able to cross no man’s land during trench warfare?
27. What type of warfare was responsible for agonizing deaths due to burns and suffocation?
28. When did the US enter into WWI? And Why didn’t we join earlier? 29. What made the US join WWI? If you want to learn more check out What is a clinical assessment? what are the bases on which a clinician bases his or her diagnosis?
30. How did the war end and who was punished?
31. What is a Mir?
32. What did Stolypin try to do to help the peasants? 33. How did WWI effect Russia?
34. Nicolas and Alexandra were the rulers of the Romanov dynasty in Russia, but who took advantage of them and succeeds at gaining more power to himself within the government?
35. True or False. Nicolas of the Romanov dynasty always relied and trusted on the Duma to solve the countries issues.
36. What is emerging from the Russian Revolutions?
37. What do the Russian people want from this new government that emerged from the revolution?
38. Who becomes the Prime minister for Russia’s new provisional government?
39. Who are the Soviets? Are they a part of the provisional government in Russia?
40. Who is Lenin and what type of government does Lenin want?
41. Russia is in a civil war when Lenin and his associates seize power and set in place a new government. Who are his associates? And what are the two different sides in this civil war?
42. To seize power, how did the Bolsheviks please to the people?
43. After WWI ends, Russia’s economy is left in pieces. What does Lenin do to help revive the Russian economy? Don't forget about the age old question of Which caribbean island has the best economy?
If you want to learn more check out What are the parts of the communication process?
44. What is the NEP?
45. When is international Labor Day?
46. Who set in place the Five-Year-Plans? What were the objectives?
47. To meet the objectives for the Five-Year-Plans, what kind of land reform did Stalin give the peasants?
48. Who were the Kulaks? Why did Stalin hate them?
49. Who were national deviationists?
50. Who was the chemist that argued that he could use chemicals to change wheat so that it could be grown in colder climate?
51. During Stalinist Russia, who was the figure of the “perfect worker” that was used a propaganda technique to influence the laborers?
52. What is the difference between Communism and Fascism? How are they similar?
53. After WWI before the depression, Germany goes through a political revolution and was now a _________________________, which included a president and representative assembly called a ___________________. If you want to learn more check out What is natural goodness according to philippa foot?
54. How does Germany respond to falling behind on their war debt payments?
55. What did the Dawes Plan do?
56. Where does Hitler and his fellow Nazis meet and decide to overthrow the German government?
57. How did Nazis gain support for their movement/government?
58. Who were the S.S.?
59. What is the Enabling Act and who passes it?
60. What was the league of nations? What was ironic about the US involvement with it?
61. Explain how appeasement allowed Hitler to expand his rule without any confrontation of France and Britain?
62. What was discussed in the Munich meeting? What ends up happening despite the agreement?
63. What is the Rome-Berlin Axis and the Nazi-Soviet Pact?
64. What is the new kind of method of war Hitler used when expanding his rule?
65. Describe the rule of Vichy France?
66. How did Britain survive the air attacks by the Luftwaffe?
67. Who was the main conductor of concentration camps? 68. What did the Nuremburg laws do?
69. Who suffered the most from the New Order?
Book Questions (only from chapter 26)
1. Sepoys revolted against the British because the British forced these soldiers to used animal fat in their cartridges. What was this revolt called according to the British and the Indians?
2. What was the Indian Civil Service?
3. What is the Indian National Congress?
4. What was the Java War?
5. What put an end to Vietnam’s peasant rebellion and civil war?
6. Describe extraterritoriality and how did it effect the British subjects in China?
7. In the nineteenth century China was foregoing internal problems with population rebellion. What was the worst rebellion of all and what happened?
8. What brought China’s monarchy to an end?
9. What war was fought over imperial influence and territory in Manchuria?
1. EAST INDIA COMPANY
2. THE MUGHALS; THIS ALLOWED THE BRITISH TO EXTEND THEIR POWER AND POLITICAL CONTROL INTO INDIA
3. A SEPOY IS AN INDIAN SOLDIER UNDER BRITISH COMMAND; THEY REVOLTED BECAUSE THE BRITISHED STARTED TRAINING THESE SOLDIERS TO USE CARTIGES THAT HAD ANIMAL FAT AS GREASE BUT THE SEPOYS REFUSED TO USE THESE CARTIGES BECAUSE IT WENT AGAINST THEIR RELIGION; SEPOY REVOLT.
4. THE RAJ; OPIUM
5. POSITIVE EFFECTS: POLITICAL UNITY, FINER EDUCATION, INDUSTRIALIZATION, BETTER BANKING AND MINING. NEGATIVE EFFECTS: THE TEXTILE INDUSTRY BECAME UNTOUCHABLE TO NONBRITISH PEOPLES, CASTE SYSTEM WAS MADE MORE RIGID WITH THOUSANDS OF SUB CASTES. POVERTY GOT WORSE AND LIFE SPANS DROPPED.
6. THE BRITISH ULTIMATLEY WON BUT AT A HUGE CASUALTY RATE AND THIS WIN GAVE THEM RULE OVER SOUTH AFRICA.
8. THE BELGAIN CONGO
9. KING LEOPOLD II; HE WRITES UP HUNDREDS OF DIFFERENT FREINDSHIP TREATIES WITH LOCAL CHIEFTAINS, BUT IT WAS A TRICK TO JUST GIVE LEOPOLD MORE LAND.
11. FORCE PUBLIQUE
12. EDMUND MORE
13. ROGER CASEMENT
16. THE BALKANS
17. BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA
18. TRIPLE ALLIANCE: AUSTRIA-HUNGARY, ITALY, GERMANY; TRIPLE ENTANTE: ENGLAND, FRANCE, RUSSIA
19. ONCE SOMEONE STARTS MOBILIZING FOR WAR, OTHERS START MOBILIZING AS WELL AND ITS HARD TO BACK DOWN ONCE YOU GET STARTED.
20. THE ASSASSINATIONOF FRANZ FERDINAND AND HIS WIFE WHILE THEY WERE VISITING SARAJEVO IN BOSNIA.
21. A PLAN HATCHED BY GERMANY AND IT WAS A PLAN THAT TRIED TO AVOID ATTACKS ON THE WEST AND EASTERN FRONTS. IT WANTED TO KNOCK OUT FRANCE FAST
22. A WAR THAT DRAGS ON, DRYING EACH OTHER OUT OF RESOURCES
23. TRENCH WARFARE
24. BATTLE OF VERDUN; THE BATTLE AT THE WESTERN FRONT 25. T.E. LAWRENCE
26. NEW WEAPONS LIKE TANKS AND PLANES
27. CHEMICAL WARFARE
28. APRIL 1917; THE US WAS AN ISOLATIONIST STATE BEFORE THE WAR
29. IN 1915, THE LUSITANIA WITH AMERICANS ON BOARD WAS SUNK BY THE GERMANS
30. ENDED WITH THE TREATY OF VERSAILLES; GERMANY WAS PUNISHED WITH THE WAR GUILT CLAUSE.
31. DURING THE RUSSIAN REVOLUTION, SERFS/PEASANTS WOULD FARM ON THESE COLLECTIVE FARMING LANDS INSTEAD OF PRIVATE PLOTS LIKE THEY WERE DOING BEFORE.
32. HE TRIED TO DIVIDE UP THE LAND TO THE FREE PEASANTS BUT IT DIDN’T APPLY TO ALL SO IT NEVER ACTUALLY TOOK OFF. 33. THE WAR WAS HARD ON RUSSIA BECAUSE THEY ALREADY HAD ECONOMIC AND MILITARY ISSUES. THEY HAD A LOT OF INTERNAL ISSUES LIKE SCARCITY OF FOOD, NO RAILROADS, INFLATION, AND A TERRIBLE GOVERNMENT. IT MADE AN UNSTABLE SITUATION EVEN WORSE FOR RUSSIA.
35. FALSE, NICOLAS HAD BAD RELATIONS WITH THEM AND ESSENTIALLY WANTED TO CLOSE IT DOWN.
36. A PROVISIONAL REVOLUTIONARY GOVERNMENT 37. THEY WANT A NEW CONSTITUTION THAT GIVES THEM LAND REFORM FOR THE LAND THEY’VE BEEN FARMING FOR YEARS BEFORE. 38. KERENSKY
39. RUSSIA’S WORKERS COUNCIL AND THEY START POPPING UP IN CITIES IN ST. PETERSBURG. THEY START TALKING ABOUT MARXISM AND THE REVOLUTION; NO, THEY ARE NOT.
40. HE IS THE LEADER OF THE BOLSHEVIK REVOLUTION, LENIN TAKES MARXISM AND TWEAKS IT A LITTLE BIT, HE WANTS A DIALECTIC/REVOLUTION TO BE FAST-FORWARDED; LENIN WANTED TO FORM A SHADOW/ALTERNATIVE GOVERNMENT
41. STALIN AND TROTSKY; THE REDS (NEW REVOLUTIONARY GOVERNMENT) VS. THE WHITES (THE COUNTER REVOLUTIONARIES). 42. THE BOLSHEVIKS PROMISED “PEACE, LAND AND BREAD” 43. HE SETS IN PLACE THE NEW ECONOMIC POLICY (NEP) 44. IT IS AN ECONOMIC REFORM SET IN PLACE BY LENIN TO RECOVER THE RUSSIAN ECONOMY. IT RELYS OFF OF CAPITALISM WITH PROFIT, PERSONAL WEALTH, AND GAIN.
45. MAY DAY 1920
46. STALIN; FIRST OBJECTIVE WAS THE TRIPLE THE OUTPUT OF HEAVY INDUSTRY, SECOND OBJECTIVE WAS TO DOUBLE LIGHTER INDUSTURY, THIRD OBJECTIVE WAS TO INCREASE AGRICULTURAL OUTPUT BY 50%
47. COLLECTIVIZATION FARMING
48. THEY WERE PEASANTS THAT GOT FAIRLY WEALTHY OFF OF THE NEP; HE HATED THEM BECAUSE IT WAS A SMACK IN THE FACE TOWARDS CAPITALISM.
49. THEY WERE PEOPLE IN STALINIST RUSSIA WHO SHOWED NATIONALISM AND SELF-DETERMINATION.
52. COMMUNISM IS THE FAR LEFT AND FACISM IS THE FAR RIGHT OF THE POLITICAL SPECTRUM. COMMUNISM WASNTS AN ALL EQUAL CLASS WITH NO CLASS SYSTEM WHILE FACISM IS DOMINATED BY THE MIDDLE CLASS; SIMILARITIES INCLUDE: BOTH HAVE TOTALITARIAN STATES AND DICTATORSHIPS, NO CIVIL LIBERTIES, STATES DRIVEN BY FIGHTING. 53. WEIMER REPUBLIC; REICHSTAG
54. BY PRINTING MORE MONEY CAUSING HYPERINFLATION 55. IT REDUCED REPARATION PAYMENTS FOR GERMANY TO HELP THEM RECOVER
56. MUNICH BEER HALL PUTSCH
57. THEY USE TERROR AND LIES AND HUGE RALLIES, NAZIS WOULD RECRUIT TROOPS CALLED S.A. TO ACT AS THUGS TO GERMANS AND SCARE THEM INTO SUPPORT.
58. THEY WERE SPECIALLY RECRUITED TROOPS USED AS ELITE GUARD, THEY EVENTUALLY REPLACED THE S.A.
59. IT ULTIMATLEY GAVE HITLER COMPLETE POWER OF GERMANY; HINDENBURG
60. IT WAS AGRUED FOR BY AMERCIAN PRESIDENT WOODROW WILSON THAT BASICALLY WAS A COLLECTIVE SECURITY BAND; IT WAS IRONIC BECAUSE THE US WAS NOT APART OF THIS BAND.
61. APPEASEMENT WAS A POLICY USED BY FRANCE AND BRITAIN ALLOWING HITLER TO DO WHAT HE WANTS BECAUSE THEY DIDN’T
WANT ANOTHER WORLD WAR AND THEY SIMPLY WERE OUT OF RESOURCES TO FACE HIM IN A CONFRONTATION.
62. CHAMBERLAIN, DALADIER AND HITLER MET AND DISCUSSED THAT HITLER COULD HAVE CONTROL OVER THE SUDENTENLAND SINCE THE MAJORITY OF THE POPULATION THERE IS GERMAN BUT HE COULD NOT HAVE ALL OF CZECHOSLOVAKIA. (ANOTHER ACT OF
APPEASEMENT); BUT HITLER ULTIMATLEY TAKES ALL OF
63. ROME-BERLIN AXIS IS THE ALLIANCE BETWEEN HITLER AND MUSSOLINI IN FRANCE. THE NAZI-SOVIET PACT IS THE ALLIANCE WITH HITLER AND THE SOVIETS IN RUSSIA.
64. BLITZKRIEG OR LIGHTING WAR
65. IT WAS RULED BY ITS OWN FRENCH GOVERNMENT BY PETAIN BUT THEY HAVE TO COMPLY WITH HITLER OR THEY WILL BE EMPOUNDED ON.
66. THEY TOOK COVER AND STAYED CALM UNTIL IT DIED DOWN AND THEN THEY WERE ENCOURAGED TO GO BACK TO WORK IN THE MORNIND AND CARRY ON.
68. TOOK AWAY ALL POLITICAL AND MARRIAGE RIGHTS FROM THE JEWS
69. SLAVIC PEOPLES AND THE JEWS
Book Question ANSWER KEY:
1. The British called it the Great Mutiny and the Indians called it the Great Revolt
2. An elite bureaucracy the administered the Indian government, all were eligible to take the exam but it was held in England. No one could make the travel so very few were able to reach this ranking.
3. It was found by a group of educated Indians and it demands better equality and self-government from Britain. They called for more opportunities for Indians to gain access into the Indian Civil Service and they wanted Britain to help the poverty problem instead of military expenditures.
4. It was a war between the Dutch and the Javanese over the extension of Dutch control of the island.
5. The Nguyen Dynasty becoming the first single Vietnamese monarchy rule
6. It is a legal principle that exempts individuals from local law. During the Opium war, British peoples living in China did not have to answer to China.
7. The Taiping Rebellion, initiated by Hong Xiuquan and gathered followers. This was a religious rebellion. Read more on page 770 8. The 1911 Revolution
9. Russo-Japanese War between Russia and Japan
ALTHOUGH THIS STUDY GUIDE COVERS A LOT, IT DOES NOT COVER ALL. PLEASE READ UP ON THE BOOK!