E X A M 1
S T U D Y G U I D E
1. Which of these is not true of all living things?
a. Must be capable of growth
b. Must be capable of movement
c. Must be capable of reproduction
d. Must acquire and use energy
e. Must be complex
f. Must be capable of evolution
g. Must respond to stimuli
2. List the following from smallest to largest:
f. Organ system
3. Mutations are usually
4. ___________ reasoning leads to predictions while _______ reasoning leads to conclusions If you want to learn more check out uic cs 111
5. Common ancestry is part of the concept of
d. Natural selection
6. Grass gains energy from the sun, a cow gains energy from eating grass, a human gains energy from eating the cow. Who has consumed energy directly?
b. The grass
c. The human
7. Of the three domains, _________ and _________ are prokaryotic and _________ is eukaryotic.
8. The Cell Theory states that:
a. All cells contain a nucleus
b. All organisms are multicellular
c. Cells cannot be created nor destroyed
d. All organisms are made of cell(s)
9. The _______ variable is the thing left constant while the _______ is what is purposely manipulated. We also discuss several other topics like summer c fsu
10.Animals, plants, fungi, bacteria can all respond to stimuli.
11.Cells try to achieve homeostasis
12.Mutations are genetic mistakes
1. Match each subatomic particle with its indicator on the periodic table ____Protons a. the atomic number
____Neutrons b. the difference of atomic mass and atomic number
3. Water true/false
a) ____High specific heat
b) ____Low heat of vaporization
d) ____Becomes denser as it freezes
e) ____low surface tension
4. Atoms of the same element having different amounts of neutrons is an example of
a) Valence electrons
c) Polar bonds
5. The element oxygen has how many valence electrons
6. Capillary action occurs because of
7. A liquid with a ph of 3 is _____ and a liquid with a ph is _____.
8. _____ are the building blocks of all matter.
9. An atom that has gained or lost an electron is an
c) Free radical
11.List the chemical bonds in order of strongest to weakest.
a) Covalent, hydrogen, ionic
b) Ionic, hydrogen, covalent
c) Covalent, ionic, hydrogen
d) Hydrogen, ionic, covalent
12.Metals and non-metals usually form a ______ bond while biological molecules are ________.
13.Match the chemical bond with its description
a) Covalent i. gain or loss of an electron
b) Ionic ii. slightly positive and slightly negative poles of adjacent molecules
c) Hydrogen iii. sharing of electrons
14.A group of atoms is a(n)
15.What maintains the PH of a solution
1. The main difference between organic and inorganic compounds is the presence or lack of _______.
2. A commonly occurring group of atoms is a
a. Functional group
3. How many bonds can carbon form?
4. Glucose is essentially
a. Amino acid
5. ______ catalyze chemical reactions
c. “R” groups
6. Match the biological molecule to its building block
a. ___Carbohydrates i. amino acids
b. ___Proteins ii. glucose
c. ___Nucleic acids iii. fatty acids
d. ___Lipids iv. Nucleotides
7. Carbohydrates have a ratio of 1:2:1. What are the elements a. Carbon, hydrogen oxygen
b. Carbon, nitrogen, hydrogen
c. Carbon, phosphorus, oxygen
d. Carbon, oxygen, hydrogen
8. Polymers are created by ________________ and destroyed by _________.
9. A single strand of genetic material is a ________ protein structure while multiple subunits are a _______ protein structure.
a. Secondary, quaternary
b. Primary, tertiary
c. Secondary, tertiary
d. Primary, quaternary
10.Peptide bonds form
c. Nucleic acids
11.Match the molecule with a use
a. ___Carbohydrates communication between cells
b. ___Proteins carry genetic information
c. ___Nucleic acids source of food/energy
d. ___Lipids support/movement/defense
12._________ is densely packed with as many ________ atoms as possible while __________ is looser.
13.______ is the genetic material and directions for the cell while _____ is partially copy used to make _________.
Chloroplast (plant only)
Lysosomes (uncommon in plants)
Cell Wall (plant only)
Extracellular Matrix (ECM) Vesicles
a) Attach to other cells
b) Breaks stuff down
c) Carries proteins in passageways d) Carry molecules
e) Contains DNA
f) Controls what enter/exits the cell g) Converts sunlight into sugar (energy) h) Fluid that holds organelles
i) Genetic material
j) Makes proteins
k) Makes ribosomes
m) Packages and ships proteins n) Protects and supports the cell o) Protects bacteria and causes disease p) Reinforces membrane
q) Releases energy