HIST 1378: The US Since 1877
Identification of Terms (40%)
Six of the following terms will appear on the exam out of which you will need to address 4.A good response should have at least 3-4 good sentences.
- 1890, Battle b/w US military troops and Lakota Sioux Indians at Wounded Knee Creek in South Dakota, resulted in deaths of 300 Sioux men, women and children. Was last major battle of Indian wars of late 19th century.
- Significance: Consequences of US expansion, marked end of armed Indian resistance in the West
- Government organization that sent gov. officials down South to give opportunities for slaves (education, loans, land). Less than 1% actually got benefits.
- During Industrial Revolution, there were so many problems dealing with child labor, harmful & unhealthy conditions in the workplace, and low pay for hard labor. Started many labor unions and groups hoping for change and reform.
- Act to provide for the allotment of lands in severalty to Indians on the various reservations, and to extend the protection of the laws of the US and the territories over the Indians.
- Proposed by Hay in which all nations would have equal trading and development rights throughout all of China. This would put imperialist powers equal to China. This would also keep European powers from dividing up Congo Basin and China.
- Haymarket Martyr Louis Ling convicted of sedition in Haymarket bombings, sentenced to death. Claimed that they had no proof that he was guilty. He helped make bombs but claimed that the ones at the Haymarket were not his. Condemned not b/c of murder, but anarchy. Spoke out about injustice of police force.
- Filipino general and politician who fought first against Spain & later against US for independence of Philippines. Was first president of Philippines. Played significant role in fight against US and Spanish desires for imperialism.
We also discuss several other topics like evr1001
We also discuss several other topics like if the walls in a room are 955 square feet in area, and a gallon of paint covers 15 square yards, how many gallons of paint are needed for the room? (3 ft = 1 yd)
Don't forget about the age old question of 1.0075^12
Don't forget about the age old question of me 352
Don't forget about the age old question of llcc blackboard
- Era of reforms, starting change in industrial life, women’s suffrage, working class, black rights, and temperance. Progressives were reformers who wished to use the powers inherent in government to change American society in ways that they considered positive. We also discuss several other topics like hbo go wsu
- Made it a crime for any person to convey info intended to interfere w/ the US armed forces prosecution of the war effort or to promote the success of the country’s enemies.