waste of money
STEWART BRAND - the futurist. DENNIS MEADOWS - the hoveceaster flUNTER ZOVINS - the motivator PETE McCloskey - the politician PAUL ELRICH - the biologist
• auther of the "The population bann be STEPHANIE MILLS - the Radical s
(The Organizer) PENIS HAYES - national coordinator of earth day (1970) Rusty SCHWEICKART - thes austronomer STEWART UDALL - the conservationist
Nov 26, 1960:
a terrible smo episode consumed the -city of New York, killing thousands of people.
• What were the key messages from each President? Kennedy Qera (1961-1963) We also discuss several other topics like What is the role of people and organizations?
- set aside natural resources and land for the - sake of future generations. - conservation for the preparation of population growth.
If you want to learn more check out What is hebrew society composed of?
artekoeld Johnson (1963-1969)
"stop the poisoning of our air or we become a nation of gas masks; groping our way through these dying cities ... that the people have evacuated" - over exploitation and industrialization will Don't forget about the age old question of What is performed to achieve behavior modification?
soon lead to the demise of human e American) livelihood environmental contern was needed to
Nixon (1969-1974) No
"Shall we surrender to our surroundings, orshall we make peace with nature & make reparations for the damage we'red We also discuss several other topics like Explain the concept of biological species.
Nixon (1969-1974) continued...
naman activity and environmental degredation. is responsible for the declined state of air, land, and water in the United States.
renewable energy resources should be exploited due to the overconsumption of fossil thels
fespecially for future
urged the population to "act soon" and described the American lifestyle to be threat Don't forget about the age old question of What term is used to describe the expected number of years of full health remaining at a given age, such as birth?
eedkamers to economic, political, and social aspects of the country
erausnarinna may no4, ismay mo syrom sin Abah no unazuos annosan el mismo para 3 uradno
" we must and will be sensitive to the delicate balance of our ecosystems, the preservation of endangered species and the protection of our wilderness lands ..." - addresses the sensitivity of environments Don't forget about the age old question of What molecules does the endocrine system release?
and biodiversity as a result of human action.
Busch senior (1989-1993). "... We don't in herif the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children. ". - alludes to the natural benefits provided by
the environment de - However, uses an Anthropocentric /utilitarian
Clinton (1993-2001) - makes firm points about the severity of greehouse
gas emissions on climate change, sea level rise, and ... of course... economic collapse.
Busch Junior (2001-2009)
"And neve we have a serious problem, Americs is addicted to oil...
- NO COMMENT... - Busta ironically pushed for domestic drilling
and was raised by a petroleum empire of his father George H. W. Bush.
• what wer the
STEWART UDALL: “ ME CONSERVATIUM ST"
- U.S. Secretary of the
- Grew up during the great depression. as a small-town country boy
was raised by conservationist values
for the sake of livelihood
STEWART BRAND: "THE FUTURIST"
- Advisor to California Gov. Jerry Brown (1977-1979) - Creater of the "Whole Earth Catalog"
. A book full of "back -to-the-land?
technologies /machinery as a quide to be
more ecological. DENNIS MEADOWS: “THE FORECASTER"
- Co-author of "The Limits to Growth" (1972)
PAUL EHRLICH: "THE BIOLOGIST" - Author of "The Population Bouba (1968)
& while in high school, and extending on as an
undergrad at Penn State, he experienced the excessive use of pesticides and urban sprawl
DENIS HAYES: "THE ORGANIZER"
- National coordinator of EARTH DAY (1970) - Renewable energy proneer
• had a vision while alone in the desert of Namibia to apply the basic pricipals of ecology to American
politics /society... RACHEL CARSON: - accreditted with being the founder of the modern
environmental worement - Author of the book "silent Springs"
• was a biologist concerned with the
over utilization of DDT and pesticide usage
• where environmentalists
of the spare programs
in the 60's first supportive & advanced tech. ? .
In general, the surrmounding counter-culture of the environmental movement opposed the introduction of newer technologies, especially the initiative of space travel
Jacques Cousteans believed that a space pragram could profoundly benefit the oceans of the world. - The environmental movement seemed to identify
with this perspective and the space program became
a necessary goal Gaylord Nelson Governor of Wisconsin UFOUNDER OF
I EARTH DAY
suggested teach-ins nation wide
• his initiatives stimulated the Earth Day movement
and the overall conservation. He co-chaired Pete McCloskey et (a california Republican
pete Mc loskey : (Republican) Governor of California
• was given half the responsibility of formulating an
Earth Day movement Me nired Denis Hayes to help organize schools and
organizations across the nation. says " In my time, the Republican party was the environmental party... "
organization was the single largest contributor first Earth Day? - The United Automobile Workers CUAW)
what was the name of the campaign name for unfriendly legislators?
- The "Dirty Doren" - There were politicians and congressmen who
opposed of shared very little concern for environmental policy
• What was one of the first endangered species to be listed on the endangered species ist & why was it symbolic?
- the h o Bald Eagle, the national bird,
was the first endangered species.
• In the 1950s, what was the name of the resource document that the Paley Commission created?
- "Resources for the Future" aimed at improving
environmental, energy, and natural resources through research
• What is thought to be the reason why carter's energy policy
failed to gain public support and how did Reagan capitalize on it?
– President Cartermade the mistake of portraying the
environmental movement as a radical paradigmshift in American lifestyle. Many people misinterpreted his urgancy and Reagan's personality was an effective medium for those who opposed (or were unsure) of
• What Reagan
did carter install on the white House, that
later removed ?
President carter installed a solar water heater in 1979 and even appointed a new Department of Energy to continue.
renewable en resources. Bother the solar water heater and Department
of Energy was removed.