me more but NOTI?
Matter of fact or Relation of Ideas? A Doubling the length of the sides of a causes the area inside that square to
- ne proposite
- based on
& The sun will Rise tmo.
- likely true; Matter of observation will prove
Hitting a tennis ball with a racket causes it to fly
- false, matter of facto repeated seriality! makes us want to inter a casual relationship, but we cannot prove t exist
If you want to learn more check out Who are the limbourg brothers?
- Home says we are hard pressed to
say that the first event is the reason for a second. Lewe've seen a racket swing at a ball -> ball flies)
owen believe that we know what is about to happen here: the billard balls' will scatter If you want to learn more check out What is the meaning of deterrence?
We also discuss several other topics like What is the definition of proto-renaissance?
But, Home challenges the reason we will probably give as to why? "The cue ball will cause the other baus to seatteri is very difficul
• But, both the rationalists and Empiricists had to ultimately rely on a notion of God to make their systems hang together! So what can replace this? Homes argues that God is a recessary exisknee l being He challenges some of the arguments for the existence of cood If you want to learn more check out What are the patterns of corporate financing?
•Home continues to called 'me' apart
doubt the existence of something from my various observations
02.94" Don't forget about the age old question of What is the purpose of white flight?
Home is a skeptic about other people's existence as well I may venture to affirm et the rest of mankind that they are nothing but a bundle of different perceptions.."
• Unknown; whereas Descartes needs it be certain
about anything Ceven maths), Homes looks. at the form of assertion.
• According to Home, Relations of yees and matters Don't forget about the age old question of What is the definition of common stock?
of facts are the only kinds of truth that exist
A statement like: "God Exists" meets reitter anteria, so it is a non-sense proposition CP. 92).
. The statement God does NOT Exist" Yields no
obvious contradition, however, so it is not a necessarily true relation of ideas
is not a
one cannet observe matter of fact
Theism Anselme Aquinas.
& Concept es divinity (in
flourished culture that exists)
Rationalism vs. Empiricism,
- Both rationalism
idea of God
- Theism: A Philosophy that supports or is
supported by a belief in God ar Gods C Descartes racke, Berkely, Anselm, Avinas, possible plate)
- Atleism A Philosophy that supports ar B
Supported by a denial of any belief in Godigas Hurre, Marx, Freud, pawkins, possible plate)
Proofs for God
- Palmer vit is as if the medievals were giving an
accant to themsewes of the rational Status of Heir belief - or their knowledge of God" (pelmer 157)
St Anselm or Canterburya England (1033-1109 - Writes one of the most famous a proofs for Gods
existence, called the ontological argement - Ontology. The branch of philosophy which asks
questions about being' or existence
- This argument, which is strargely addressed to
God Himself, of hinges on the definition that Ansam gives God (this is an a priori argoment) - God is defined as that than which nothing
greater can be conceived.
SI Anselm of Canterbury
- A rationalist's way of proving God's existence - Similar to Descarts argument about perfection
The fool says
'There is no
The fool thinks he is saying something but he is actually speaking non-sense as if he were saying:
flower has 4 sides"
some people make
1) The fool understands the claim
that God exists
2) But, as he does not believe that God exists