Study Guide: Ch 1, Ch 2, Scenarios
7 psychological approaches
Aristotle vs Descartes
Psychiatrist vs Psychologist
Types of psychologists (ex: health psychologists, cross-cultural psychologists, personality psychologists, etc)
Evolution, Natural Selection
o positive psychology
Steps of the scientific method
Theory vs hypothesis
Replicated, reliable, and valid
Research (correlational, descriptive, experimental, etc)
Population We also discuss several other topics like What kind of intermolecular forces hold molecules together in the solid and liquid form?
o Inferential stats vs. Descriptive stats
Ethical guidelines (informed consent, debriefing, deception, confidentiality) o Animal research
Media reports, assumptions, inferences
SCENARIOS (Practice Problems) Don't forget about the age old question of Why is reproduction important?
1. What types of research would you use if you were interested in studying visibility of tattoos on perceptions of competence for work?
a. experimental, case study, and observational.
2. If a researcher is studying how trauma might affect a person’s day-to-day functioning, which types of research might the designer choose to conduct this study?
a. experimental, correlational, descriptive
3. Swedish researchers found that women who had experienced divorce or a family member's illness in their 50s to 60s were more likely to develop dementia or Alzheimer’s disease in their 70s or 80s. What conclusion can we draw from this study?
We also discuss several other topics like How does the income statement of a merchandising firm differ from that of a manufacturing company?
a. A lady that is between the ages 70 and 80 might develop Alzheimer’s disease.
4. The media reports that a research study found that students learn better if they eat chocolate while reading. If your teacher insists that you eat chocolate, based on this report, what errors is he making? The teacher is:
a. assuming the class is similar to study’s participants, overgeneralizing results of the report to all students, & not thinking critically about this media report. Don't forget about the age old question of What lies between the skin and the fascia around muscle and bone?
Don't forget about the age old question of Which states have adopted the international building code?
If you want to learn more check out What is caused by faulty genetic imprinting?
5. A study presented at the American Society for Reproductive Medicine in Boston and published in the Journal of Fertility and Sterility, suggests that processed meat intake is linked to poorer semen quality, and fish is linked to better semen quality. What elements of this story support the possibility that this research is credible? The research was:
a. published by credible journal, was presented to credible professional group, & suggests that there is a link b/n food intake and sperm count.