Biology 102 Test Review (Exact questions on test)
Chapters 22 Community Ecology & Chapter 23 Ecosystem Ecology 11.3.15
1. Which of the following is not a reason that pollinators are considered keystone species?
D. Pollinators have more complex social structures and division of labor
2. Which of the following species is NOT likely to be considered a keystone species?
B. A fish species that specializes in eating only a few aquatic plant species and doesn’t form
3. Which of the following does NOT describe a keystone species? A. A species that always occupies the highest tropic levels in community We also discuss several other topics like Are Herbivorous organisms at the bottom of the food chain?
4. Which of the following statements are TRUE about energy transfer?
C. Energy is lost between trophic levels as heat, metabolism, and waste
5. Which of the following is NOT a correct statement about food chains?
D. Food chains are often complex and intertwined
6. Just as cows consume grass for nourishment, bees consume________
7. Which of the following organisms would NOT be classified as consumers in a food chain?
B. Blueberry bushes
8. Which of the following best explains why herbivorous organisms are more energetically efficient than those that consume meat?
E. Herbivorous organisms are at the bottom of the food chain
If you want to learn more check out the main producers in aquatic environments are _______. a. phytoplankton b. zooplankton c. kelp d. fish
9. Food chains are an important part of an ecosystem a food chain shows__________ If you want to learn more check out pitt peoplesoft number
10. Which of the following ecosystems would NOT be affected by a decrease in bee population?
E. all of the above would be affected by a decrease in bee population
11. Which of the following is an example of a mutualistic interaction between species?
12. Which of the following examples does not describe a predation event?
D. a producer creates energy from sunlight
13. Bees are a colonial species and live in hives with thousands of other bees. Which of the following is an example of commensalism? We also discuss several other topics like ucsc login
B. A bee hive in the trunk of a tree
14. Although they are not native to the US, honeybees have successfully competed for
D. All of the above
15. The relationship between the bee and the bacteria living in D. Mutualism
16. Which of the following is part of the ecosystem of Vermont’s maple climate change?
E. All of the above
17. Which of the following statements is NOT a characteristic or effect of climate change?
a. Global warming is the only type of climate change 18. Temperature is an important physical feature of an ecosystem. Which option below shows a correct, direct relationship between temperature and organisms in an environment?
D. Arctic temperatures are increasing; the red fox is expanding in its habitat to compete with the Arctic fox
19. Which of the following are consequences of Artic ice melting due to global warming? If you want to learn more check out What is the diet of carnivores?
E. All of the above
20. Why are the extinctions of 1,103 organisms predicted to occur due to global warming?
C. This number represents organisms that will be unable to move to more suitable habitats where global warming causes their current habitats to become unsuitable
21. Which of these are examples of the effects of rising temperatures?
B. Plants are blooming earlier in the year
22. Which of the following properly states the relationship between global temperature and global CO2 levels?
C. In the past 140 years, temperatures increase rapidly
23. The relationship between global warming and greenhouse gases is ________
E. the more greenhouse gases the greater the amount of heat trapped from Earth’s surface
24. Human actions have altered the global carbon cycle by_______
E. All of the above
25. The flow of carbon in an ecosystem is similar to the flow of energy in an ecosystem TRUE/FALSE?
c. False; carbon cycle and energy flows in a direction through the ecosystem
26. Which of these would need to be accounted for in a carbon footprint?
27. The carbon cycle is the movement of carbon atoms via natural processes such as_________
D. Decomposition, photosynthesis, respirationIf you want to learn more check out When did modern Homo Sapiens arrive?
28. Slash andburn agriculture affects global warming by_______
C. removing photosynthetic organisms from the environment, thereby increasing CO2 in the environment
29. How do scientists measure changes in the levels of global atmospheric CO2?
C. they take the ice core samples that allow measurements of CO2 over hundreds of years
30. A television show about conspiracy theories is discussing global warming claiming it’s a myth that CO2 levels have risen over the last thousand years. Which evidence would be most useful to use educating the producers to convince them that global warming is not a myth?
a. Ice cores
31. What makes an organism a keystone species?
c. its loss would negatively impact the community and ecosystem
32. Which is NOT necessarily true of a keystone species? D. it is the most abundant species in the community
33. Which plant grouping relies heavily on bee or insect pollination?
34. Why are angiosperms important to honeybees? B. Pollen is a source of food
35. Pollen is found on this part of the flower
36. Which is NOT true of consumers?
C. they are photosynthetic
37. A food web describes
B. the intersection of multiple food chains in a community
38. An omnivore is
E. A plant and animal eater
39. Symbioses describes
D. species living in close association with each other
40. __________ occurs when one species benefits while another species is harmed, while ________ is when one species benefits while another species is unharmed
D. Parasitism; commensalism
41. Scientists monitor seasoned changes in angiosperms by examining
C. First flowering date
42. Which of the following BEST describes an ecosystem?
E. The plant, animal, and bacterial life plus the physical and chemical environment in an area
43. Why would a plant species go extinct but an animal survive when temperature change alters a habitat?
C. Animals are more mobile than plants
44. Increase in global gases
E. Trap heat in Earth’s atmosphere
45. All of the following are true of the greenhouse effect EXCEPT
C. High CO2 levels are contributing to global warming
46. Carbon dioxide has rapidly increased in
D. last 100 years
47. As a consequence of global warming
E. some plants and animals will be negatively affected and others will be positively affected
48. Which land mass is showing the most dramatic increase in surface temperature in recent years?
49. Why are increased temperatures in the Artic a threat to polar bears?
E. All of the above
50. Which processes regulate the natural Carbon cycle on our plant?
D. photosynthesis, respiration, and decompostion