1) A perfectly elastic demand curve will:
be a vertical straight line.
be a downward sloping straight line.
be a horizontal straight line.
be an upward sloping straight line.
2) An increase in the price of sodium carbonate, a chemical compound used in detergents, will:
increase the quantity of detergents demanded.
decrease the quantity of detergents demanded.
decrease the demand for detergents.
increase the demand for detergents.
3) The market-clearing price is:
the price at which the market is in equilibrium.
the price at which mutually beneficial trade take place.
the price at which sellers earn the maximum profit.
the price at which consumer surplus is zero. Don't forget about the age old question of Find (f+g)(3) when f(x)=x2+1 and g(x)=2x+1
4) Starting from a pure exchange equilibrium, an increase in the demand for a commodity will result in:
a fall in the market price.
a rise in the market price.
a rise in the equilibrium output.
a fall in the equilibrium output.
5) For an inferior good:
the income elasticity is positive.
the income elasticity if negative.
the income elasticity is zero.
the income elasticity is unity.
6) The supply curve of a producer, whose costs vary continuously with output will be:
a straight line vertical to the output axis.
a straight line horizontal to the output axis.
the positively sloped portion of the marginal cost curve. the negatively sloped portion of the marginal cost curve.
7) A demand curve is said to be inelastic if:If you want to learn more check out What is proposition 209 all about?
ED = 1
ED = 0
ED > 1 We also discuss several other topics like What is the biological basis of personality?
ED < 1
8) A Commodity X will be considered as a normal good if:
the quantity of the good consumed decreases with an increase in income. the quantity of the good consumed increases with an increase in income.
the quantity of the good consumed increases in the same proportion as the increase in income.
the quantity of the good consumed reflects no change with a change in income.
9) Bankers supported the Federal Reserve Board’s Regulation Q because: Answer
it allowed them to charge lower interest rates on loans.
it protected them from money market volatilities.
it increased the demand for loanable funds in the market.
it allowed them to borrow at a low rate of interest and lend out at a high rate of interest.
10) Which of the following is a property of a forward contract? Answer
In a forward contract cash is traded for immediate delivery. The buyer of a forward contract is “short” while the seller of the contract is “long”.
In a forward contract, the seller must own the commodity which is being traded.
The value of future delivery depends on the market price of the commodity.
11) Which of the following markets is continuously in operation and not set in a single venue or restricted to certain dates or times?
Answer If you want to learn more check out The amine neurotransmitter serotonin is also called?
The U.S natural gas industry
The San Francisco Wholesale Produce Market
The U.S. real estate market
An art exhibition
12) As observed in China’s steel appliance market, the rise in the price of refrigerators resulted:
solely from an increase in the demand for refrigerators.
from an increase in the demand for steel from all appliance industries. from a shortage of steel in the world markets.
from an increase in the price of steel that was the result of increased demand for refrigerators.
13) The area above the supply curve and below the market price represents: Answer
the consumer surplus
the producer surplus.
the deadweight loss of the producer.
the deadweight loss of the consumer.
14) In a “pure exchange” market:
resources are owned only by the government.
resources are owned by few people. We also discuss several other topics like Where is the superior rectus located?
people trade money for goods that are produced in the domestic economy. there is no production and people trade money for goods that already exist.
15) Which of the following commodities can be considered as an inferior good?
Dwelling in a small apartment located in a suburb
Washing clothes in a washer at home
Eating out at an upscale restaurant
Spending vacations at exotic locations
16) The production function shows:
the total cost incurred to produce a certain level of output. the changes in cost incurred as output level varies.
the relationship between inputs used and output produced. the impact of a change in production on the firm’s revenues.
17) A manufacturer of towels finds that his returns to scale are constant. Which of the following conclusions can be drawn?
The long-run total cost curve is horizontal.
The long-run average cost curve is horizontal.
The long-run total cost curve is downward sloping.
The long-run average cost curve is downward sloping.
18) A firm uses two inputs, labor (L) and capital (K) in the production of umbrellas. It can invest $50,000 in the purchase of the two inputs annually. The firm hires 5 units of capital at $1,000 per unit. If the going annual wage We also discuss several other topics like This registration statement is the main point of this act. this is a document that has to be
filed with securities exchange commission before a security can be offered, what is it?
rate is $4,500, calculate the number of workers employed by the firm. (Assume that the firm spends the entire budget on K and L.) Answer
19) You decide that it is time to buy a big family car. The opportunity cost you consider is:
the cost of the car.
the increase in comfort for your family while traveling.
the return this money would have earned if it was invested otherwise.
the inconvenience you and your family are bearing on account of your old car.
20) If the slope of the rays from the origin to the total variable cost curve declines along the curve, it implies:
the average variable cost is falling.
the marginal cost is falling.
the average variable cost is rising.
the marginal cost is rising.
21) Refer to Figure 4-3. An increase in the slope of an isocost implies: Figure 4-3
The following figure shows two isocost lines ( and ) and two isoquants for the production of 200 and 350 tons of corn. The axes show the quantities of the two types of fertilizers used in corn production.
the firm is using more of the input measured on the X-axis. the total cost incurred by the firm has declined.
the input measured on the X-axis has become costlier. the price of both inputs has declined.
22) _____ is the locus of the minimum points of various short-run average cost curves depicting different plant sizes.
Long-run marginal cost
Long-run average cost
23) _____ gives the slope of an isocost line where labor (L) and capital (K) are the two inputs measured on the X and Y axes respectively. Answer
The ratio of the marginal product of capital to the marginal product of labor, with a negative sign,
The ratio of price of labor to the price of capital, with a negative sign,
The ratio of the price of capital to the price of labor
The ratio of the marginal product of labor to the marginal product of capital
24) Jeff owns a garage and has 3 mechanics to help him. With the tools used being fixed in the short run, his production function is given by 5 + 2L = Y , where L is the number of mechanics and Y is the number of cars they can fix. If Jeff hires a fourth mechanic, what will be the marginal product of the new mechanic hired?
25) Refer to Figure 4-2. What does the area ABCD signify?
The following figure shows the cost curves of a firm producing good X. Answer
The total revenue earned when the market price is $8 per unit of X. The total profit earned when the market price is $8 per unit of X. The total revenue earned when the market price is $5 per unit of X. The total profit earned when the market price is $5 per unit of X.
26) The greater the curvature of the isoquant:
the greater the degree of substitutability between the inputs. the lower the possibility of substitution between inputs. the higher the impact of a change in relative prices of inputs. the lower the prices of inputs.
27) In an industry characterized by a natural monopoly, which of the following characteristics will be observed?
The long-run average cost curve will be upward sloping.
The market price of the product will be very low.
Competition is both impossible and inefficient.
Number of producers operating in this market will be low.
28) Refer to Figure 4- If the firm produces 2,000 dolls per month when the market price is $4:
The following figure shows the marginal cost curve (MC) for a firm producing fancy dolls for children. The market price for a doll is $4 per unit. Answer
it will incur a loss.
it will earn maximum profit.
it will minimize cost on inputs.
it will earn the highest revenue.
29) Which of the following cases exhibit increasing returns to scale? Answer
Output increases by 5 percent when inputs are increased by 6 percent. Output increases by 6 percent when inputs are increased by 5 percent.
Output increases by 7 percent when inputs are increased by 7 percent. Output declines by 2 percent when inputs are increased by 1 percent.
30) Refer to Figure 4-2. The area EFGH is:
The following figure shows the cost curves of a firm producing good X. Answer
the loss incurred by the firm when market price is $3.5. the profit earned by the firm when the market price is $3.5. the loss incurred by the firm when the market price is $5.
the revenue earned by the firm when the market price is $5.