BUS610 Organizational Behavior Assignment 1
BUS610 Organizational Behavior Assignment 1
CSU - Dominguez hills
Popular in Course
verified elite notetaker
Popular in Department
This 5 page Study Guide was uploaded by smartwriter Notetaker on Sunday November 15, 2015. The Study Guide belongs to a course at a university taught by a professor in Fall. Since its upload, it has received 13 views.
Reviews for BUS610 Organizational Behavior Assignment 1
Report this Material
What is Karma?
Karma is the currency of StudySoup.
You can buy or earn more Karma at anytime and redeem it for class notes, study guides, flashcards, and more!
Date Created: 11/15/15
Ethical Issues in OB By NS 1 Running Header: ASSIGNMENT I ETHICAL ISSUES IN OB Assignment I Ethical Issues in OB Narinder Schoeling Ashford University – Online Campus BUS610 Organizational Behavior Instructor: Gary Gentry June 12, 2010 Ethical Issues in OB By NS 2 Ethical Issues in OB I have selected the ethical issues in OB. I will analyze why ethical issues are a major concern within an organization. I will see if individuals influence or if the impact ethical behavior within an organization. I will discuss how an organization can influence ethical behavior in employees. I will also use a recent article from the Wall Street Journal, or another reputable publication, to show an example of ethical issues being addressed by a corporation today. I shell support all my findings with earthier my text or other research sources. Organizational behavior, is commonly referred to as OB, is an interdisciplinary field dedicated to better understanding and managing of employees in the workplace. OB is both research and application oriented. OB analyzes individuals, groups, and organizations. An effective organizational manager needs to have OB studies behind them like; psychology, management, sociology, organization theory, social psychology, statistics, anthropology, general systems theory, economics, information technology, political science, vocational counseling, human stress management, psychometrics, ergonomics, decision theory, and ethics to name a few. Ethical issues are a major concern in organizations. Business ethics maintain the concerns of the corporate social responsibility. There are mandated ethical practices that have been mandated by state, federal, and local law. In the best interest of the organizations is to encourage good moral standards within the organization, and not to tolerate bad moral standards (Sims, 1992). Laws are set in place, such as the foreign corruption practices act preventing forceful acts of unethical behavior. The Individual That Influences Impact Ethical Behavior Ethical Issues in OB By NS 3 There are many challenges facing organizations in the current economy and these new challenges impact ethical behavior. These challenges include new technologies, managing a diverse workforce, increased quality, and global competition to name a few. These challenges affect those who will either sink or swim during challenging times (Sims, 1992). In our text, Deming defines the 85 % 15 % rule which states that 85 % chance that when things go wrong the system was at fault. Therefore, 15 % of the time the problem was the employee’s error. Organizations Influence Ethical Behavior In Employees Organizations influence ethical behavior in employees. As a means to influence ethical behavior in employees many employers offer rewards to prevent unethical behavior within the organization. Training in ethical standards is provided to solidify the relationships among management and employees. Self discipline alone with ethical training programs provides the foundation when making decisions in ethical relationships (Sims, 1992). Expected behavior should be stressed in order for it to be enforced. To maintain behavior, measures must be in place to in order to reinforce the organizations potion. Sometime modifications are required to accommodate appraisal systems such as performance appraisals instilled within the organization. Wall Street Journal on Ethical Issues of Today’s Corporation The wall Street Journal has published several articles on illegal or unethical corporate practices. Parmalat sues Bank of America Corporation. The Italian dairy giant was accused of looted for the past decade by its executive management in one of Europe largest accounting firms, filed suit against one of its largest creditor for lending money to the company. Bank of America replied: “The hundreds of millions of dollars defy logic and the facts.” Theses Alleges Ethical Issues in OB By NS 4 of Parmalat also reveal that other major banks such as Citigroup, and Morgan Stanley were also played a role. Auditors at Grant Thornton’s Italian office were charged with “fictitious operations.” Parmalat won the suit and received $197 million and cleared of any wrong doings preventing any future worries for financiers who had shared assets management in their company (Taub, 2004). Ethics in the organization play an important role in whether a corporation can survive in today’s challenging times. Management also plays a major role in its impact and on whether ethical standards are being carried out. This requires the assistance of employee commitment, upper and middle levels of management. Practicing morale ethics within the organization requires the entire team including the management and staff. Education and training is the best tool against unethical practices. The top corporations have publicized information relative to the outcome of practicing unethical business procedures and can be located easily by anyone. Conclusion I selected the Ethical Issues in OB. I then analyzed why ethical issues are a major concern within an organization. I learned that an individual can influence and can impact ethical behavior within an organization. I have learned that it would be heard for an organization to influence ethical behavior onto its employees. I will also use a recent article from the Wall Street Journal, or another reputable publication, to show an example of ethical issues being addressed by a corporation today. I shell support all my findings with earthier my text or other research sources. Ethical Issues in OB By NS 5 References Kinicki, A., & Kreitner, R. (2009). Organizational behavior: Key concepts, skills and best practices (customized 4th ed.). New York, NY: McGrawHill Irwin. Sims, R. (1992). The challenge of ethical behavior in organizations. Journal of Business ethics, 11 , 505. Taub, S. (2004). Parmalat wins $197 from financiers. Wall Street Journal, B8 , B8. Reference Page??? In some areas, the information you provided is very good such as the details about the subscription services (Mergent, Value Line, S&P). On the other hand, some key recommendations are very outdated (source??). CompuServe has been shut down for several years and you do not need to subscribe to anything to access companies' financial reports at the SEC website. WSJ and Barron articles are accessed by subscribing directly no need to use Dow Jones Retrieval service. Make sure your research is accurate and reflects current sources.
Are you sure you want to buy this material for
You're already Subscribed!
Looks like you've already subscribed to StudySoup, you won't need to purchase another subscription to get this material. To access this material simply click 'View Full Document'