New User Special Price Expires in

Let's log you in.

Sign in with Facebook


Don't have a StudySoup account? Create one here!


Create a StudySoup account

Be part of our community, it's free to join!

Sign up with Facebook


Create your account
By creating an account you agree to StudySoup's terms and conditions and privacy policy

Already have a StudySoup account? Login here

Psych week 3 Notes

by: Samantha Silseth

Psych week 3 Notes Psyc 2010

Marketplace > Auburn University > Psychlogy > Psyc 2010 > Psych week 3 Notes
Samantha Silseth
GPA 3.5

Preview These Notes for FREE

Get a free preview of these Notes, just enter your email below.

Unlock Preview
Unlock Preview

Preview these materials now for free

Why put in your email? Get access to more of this material and other relevant free materials for your school

View Preview

About this Document

These notes cover 1/25 to 1/29
Intro to Psychology
Seth A Gitter
Class Notes
25 ?




Popular in Intro to Psychology

Popular in Psychlogy

This 6 page Class Notes was uploaded by Samantha Silseth on Sunday January 31, 2016. The Class Notes belongs to Psyc 2010 at Auburn University taught by Seth A Gitter in Fall 2015. Since its upload, it has received 37 views. For similar materials see Intro to Psychology in Psychlogy at Auburn University.


Reviews for Psych week 3 Notes


Report this Material


What is Karma?


Karma is the currency of StudySoup.

You can buy or earn more Karma at anytime and redeem it for class notes, study guides, flashcards, and more!

Date Created: 01/31/16
Intro to Psych (1/25-1/29) Correlational Research - Are 2 or more factors naturally associated? o Cross Sectional Ex) Collect 100 people & measure 1.) How many hours a week do you play video games? 2.) How aggressive are you 1-10?  Statistical analysis between the 2 variables  Calculated by the correlation coefficient (it reflects the strength of the relationship) and see which way the variables move. Strength: ranges from -1.00 to +1.00. The larger the absolute value (distance to 0), the stronger the relationship. Ex) a relationship with a -1.00 strength and a relationship with a +1.00 strength have equal strengths. In smaller relationships, the correlation coefficient is closer to 0. In larger relationships the correlation should approach +/- 1.00. What is a strong vs weak coefficient? .5-.6 is very strong .3-.4 is moderately strong .2-0 is weak/ meaningless Correlation looks like a scatter plot graph w/ a best fit line where the slop determines the magnitude of the correlation. One point represents one person & the relationship between the variables. Predict by looking at one variable’s score, & find that location on the best fit line, then see where you should be for the other variable. Types of Correlations Ex) Attendence & Gpa - Positive correlation : both variables are increasing - 0-1, variables move in the same direction Attendence & Gpa Ex) Alcohol consumption & Gpa - Negative/Inverse correlation: 1 increases & 1 decreases Y-Value 1 Ex) Grades & hair length (no relationship) Y-Value 1 2 Correlation research - When we compute the correlation is does NOT imply causation. Ex) # of ice cream cones consumed a day & # of crimes a day have a positive correlation but they do not cause each other. (the high temperatures cause it) 3 ways to interpret the correlation Ex) violent video game play is associated with aggression - A to B: A causes B o Playing violent video games causes aggression - B to A: B causes A o Aggressive people like violent video games *Directionality problem- we don’t know if A causes B or B causes A or if there is even a relationship* - C to A&B: spurious relationship o 3 variable problem, it appears that two variables are related but they are not. Ex) Nicholas Cage movies released each year corresponds with the number of crimes per year. Correlations aren’t bad science - it’s a good starting point - sometimes it’s the only way to study a topic - however, there are better ways to study than using correlations Experimental studies - we cannot manipulate certain variables like personality Causation - 3 things needed to establish causation 3 o co-variation- correlations can show this o temporal precedence- you cant say something happens before another ( that would be longitudinal studies), experiments can show this. o Elimination of spuriousness- how experiments eliminate them - But how? o Manipulate one factor (Independent variable) and see how it effects another (Dependent variable) which allows the establishment of temporal precedence. (This reduces concern about the directional problem) o In a controlled setting  Reduces concerns about spuriousness/ 3 rd variable problem  Can show relationship between 2 variable  Ex) does playing violent video games increase aggressive behavior? – Have all the 100 participants have the same exact experience except ½ play a violent game and ½ play a normal game. (this provides co-variation and gives evidence for all the criteria) Hypothesis: Violent video games cause an increase in aggression - Conceptual definitions are bad; we need to use operational definitions. o What is a violent video game? How do we measure aggression? - Independent variable: Type of video game o Identify experimental & control conditions 4  Experimental: Plays the man-hunt killing game (very violent, uses an axe to kill people)  Control: Lumberjack game (cuts down trees using an axe)  Other factors that can effect the experiment: one game is more realistic and the other is a cartoon, also one could be easier than the other. Internal Validity - Random Assignment (so you don’t naturally put the aggressive looking people with the aggressive game for your benefit) o Each participant needs to be equally likely to be in either condition  Reduces concerns about alternative factors & gives us strongest evidence  Variables not eliminated should be held constant to not effect the dependent variable Other Examples - Observing kids playing with a bozo doll to observe their aggressive behaviors o Are they pushing it harder or being less gentle? - Electric shock o Allowing a person to shock someone repeatedly - Hot sauce o Tell someone to put hot sauce on a sandwich for a person who hates hot sauce and if they put a lot on they’re an aggressive person If they can’t determine aggression, causes them to determine other factors 5 - If one group differs from another is the effect real (Ex. If one group shocks someone a lot and the other doesn’t) o Need to establish if the differences are meaningful by graphing the data o Longevity of other brads Significant differences - Meaningful differences between 2 groups o Ex) test scores differ between right & left side of a classroom o Ex) Aggression level of the group that played the violent game compared to the group that didn’t - Statistical significance o The likelihood that the result occurred by chance. o Psychologists usually accept a 5% probability or lower.  Run 100 times and 95% of the effect is present Neuroscience & Behavior The Biology of Psychology - Franz Gall o You have a characteristic and this causes your brain to grow in one area. Ex) murder organ: what caused people to engage in violence was the part of the skull that protruded. (except that was false because he didn’t test normal people and everyone’s skull protrudes in that area) 6


Buy Material

Are you sure you want to buy this material for

25 Karma

Buy Material

BOOM! Enjoy Your Free Notes!

We've added these Notes to your profile, click here to view them now.


You're already Subscribed!

Looks like you've already subscribed to StudySoup, you won't need to purchase another subscription to get this material. To access this material simply click 'View Full Document'

Why people love StudySoup

Bentley McCaw University of Florida

"I was shooting for a perfect 4.0 GPA this semester. Having StudySoup as a study aid was critical to helping me achieve my goal...and I nailed it!"

Kyle Maynard Purdue

"When you're taking detailed notes and trying to help everyone else out in the class, it really helps you learn and understand the I made $280 on my first study guide!"

Jim McGreen Ohio University

"Knowing I can count on the Elite Notetaker in my class allows me to focus on what the professor is saying instead of just scribbling notes the whole time and falling behind."

Parker Thompson 500 Startups

"It's a great way for students to improve their educational experience and it seemed like a product that everybody wants, so all the people participating are winning."

Become an Elite Notetaker and start selling your notes online!

Refund Policy


All subscriptions to StudySoup are paid in full at the time of subscribing. To change your credit card information or to cancel your subscription, go to "Edit Settings". All credit card information will be available there. If you should decide to cancel your subscription, it will continue to be valid until the next payment period, as all payments for the current period were made in advance. For special circumstances, please email


StudySoup has more than 1 million course-specific study resources to help students study smarter. If you’re having trouble finding what you’re looking for, our customer support team can help you find what you need! Feel free to contact them here:

Recurring Subscriptions: If you have canceled your recurring subscription on the day of renewal and have not downloaded any documents, you may request a refund by submitting an email to

Satisfaction Guarantee: If you’re not satisfied with your subscription, you can contact us for further help. Contact must be made within 3 business days of your subscription purchase and your refund request will be subject for review.

Please Note: Refunds can never be provided more than 30 days after the initial purchase date regardless of your activity on the site.