HLTH 637- Notes week 1
HLTH 637- Notes week 1 HLTH 637
Popular in Leadership Skills in the Health Care Setting
verified elite notetaker
Popular in Nursing and Health Sciences
This 2 page Class Notes was uploaded by Adedoyin Junaid on Wednesday February 3, 2016. The Class Notes belongs to HLTH 637 at Towson University taught by Dr Wayne Nelson in Spring 2016. Since its upload, it has received 18 views. For similar materials see Leadership Skills in the Health Care Setting in Nursing and Health Sciences at Towson University.
Reviews for HLTH 637- Notes week 1
Report this Material
What is Karma?
Karma is the currency of StudySoup.
You can buy or earn more Karma at anytime and redeem it for class notes, study guides, flashcards, and more!
Date Created: 02/03/16
Adedoyin Junaid HLTH 637-Leadership Skills in the Health Care Setting Leadership- what is leadership to you? Impression leadership- setting an example, “lifting up followers” “empowering/guiding people”, “team building” Disintegration of command- giving up leadership during a heightened times A leader MUST have followers In order to understand the leader, you must understand the r/s b/w leader and followers Traits: assertive and taking initiative, flexible, risk taking, organized, fair, firm, friendly (3 f’s-fair, firm and friendly), competent, open- minded, communicative, positive, controlling, experience, insightful, motivating, direct, trust worthy, constructive, relatable, likeable, humble, sympathetic, loyalty, courage, emotional stamina (strength), competitive, self-confidence, accountable, credible, tenacity, dependability, intelligence **Highlighted traits were given by Dr. Wayne**- the rest were given by classmates ***Leadership in the context of management*** Intelligence is important to leadership (and some may say it is the most important) and success in life It is better for the leader to be more intelligent than their followers but the gap should not be so great Leadership is a powerful predictor of success IQ predicts 20% of success in leadership That implies that 80% of success if spread out among other traits and factors Is a leader born or made? Nature and nurture are responsible based on the 20% effect of IQ (which is the single largest determinant of success) and the other 80% that consists of a myriad of factors IQ, Emotional intelligence, and character are important in leadership (IQ, EQ, CQ) Crystallized intelligence- verbally based, learned intelligence and compensates for loss in fluid intelligence (increases with age) Fluid intelligence- physiologic based ability to understand abstract ideas, how quick (declines with age) Higher fluid intelligence contributes to higher crystal intelligence Daniel Goleman and the Emotional Intelligence Model (more important for this class) Goleman estimates that although emotional intelligence is important, it is less than the 20% of IQ Five key elements of emotional intelligence: 1.self- awareness (you understand yourself)- if you don’t understand yourself, how will you understand others? 2.Self-regulation 3.Motivation-being pushed/pulled to do something 4.Empathy- you can’t read others if you don’t understand where they’re coming from/ feel for them 5. social skills- understanding cues as it pertains to those you’re interacting with, connecting with people and assessing situations Character- is the sum of one’s virtues and how those virtues are used to affect decisions and actions with others Should define who a person is Honesty, integrity, fairness, a sense of justice, helpful, constructive, other oriented, important belief system (religion, culture etc) **LEADERSHIP/THIS CLASS IS ABOUT A “FAILED SCIENCE”** IT IS NOT A HARD SCIENCE THESE THINGS CONTRADICT EACH OTHER-WHILE EXPLAINING BEHAVIOR THEORIES ARE AT BEST PROBABILISTIC Leadership and management are different Leadership deals with the human aspects – leadership occurs in every group when humans are interacting However not all managers are leaders Many leaders are not managers Leadership is a broader concept than management; management is a technical concept Most managers tend to be in a leadership position Myths of Leadership Leadership cannot be defined (note:definitions will be given next week) Leadership is about position and power Followership is peripheral to leadership Leaders are charismatic, heroic visionaries- (note: no given traits are absolute) A leader in one situation is a leader in all situations
Are you sure you want to buy this material for
You're already Subscribed!
Looks like you've already subscribed to StudySoup, you won't need to purchase another subscription to get this material. To access this material simply click 'View Full Document'