JOUR 331, Week 2 Notes
JOUR 331, Week 2 Notes JOUR 331
Popular in Contemporary Advertising
verified elite notetaker
Popular in Journalism and Mass Communications
This 3 page Class Notes was uploaded by Lauren Notetaker on Monday April 18, 2016. The Class Notes belongs to JOUR 331 at California Polytechnic State University San Luis Obispo taught by Ellen Curtis in Spring 2016. Since its upload, it has received 19 views. For similar materials see Contemporary Advertising in Journalism and Mass Communications at California Polytechnic State University San Luis Obispo.
Reviews for JOUR 331, Week 2 Notes
Report this Material
What is Karma?
Karma is the currency of StudySoup.
You can buy or earn more Karma at anytime and redeem it for class notes, study guides, flashcards, and more!
Date Created: 04/18/16
JOUR 331-01 Lecture Notes Ellen Curtis Spring 2016 Week 2 Advertising Fundamentals and Best Practices Advertising Now o Print o TV o Radio o Direct Mail o Social Media o Web Things to consider o Neilson reports 75% of all Americans are on social networks o 25% of all online time is on social networks o Women make 80% of all buying decisions of consumer goods o Women have a veto vote on the other 20% of purchase decisions o Women make up 60% of Facebook’s 600 million users Advertising Fundamentals o 4 M’s motivation message media maximization o Motivation Consumer needs – why consumers buy a product, why do they hire a brand Positioning – how is a product different from their key competitors. What makes the product in the mind of the consumer different and special Segmentation – recognizes how different groups of consumers might choose to buy your products differently Motivation Matrix breaks down why people buy the brands they buy Rational (mind) Physical (senses) o Message (REMA) Relevant – does the message matter to the target audience. Does the message connect clearly to the brand Engaging – does your message grab your target’s attention and keep it. Is the message so engaging they want to share it? Memorable – does the message last beyond the turn of the page, click of the mouse or the click of the remote Actionable – does the message motivate the target to do something o Media Who – is the media reaching the people who we want it to reach Why – is the media meeting the objective why we are advertising What – what are the best ad vehicles to reach the target audience Strategic Planning The role of strategic planning o The fundamental value planning offers is context to catalyze powerful creative ideas The target audience/consumer (mind and heart) The business The marketplace Technology/media capabilities The cultural zeitgeist o Uncovering key consumer insights through empathy and synthesis about how people relate to a brand or product. Persuasive conveyed with humility Areas of strategic planning o Account planning o Brand planning o Trend planning o Strategic planning o Connections planning o Media planning o Social media strategy o Data analytics Attributes of account planner o Empathetic o Storyteller o Champion of the consumer o Trend identifier o Analytical o Tech savvy o Insatiably curious o Visually oriented (loves infographics) The account planner serves as the voice of the consumer The account planner’s tasks o Understand the meaning of the brand o Understand target audience’s relationship to brand o Articulate communication strategies o Prepare creative briefs based on an understanding of the consumer and brand o Evaluate effectiveness of communication in terms of how target reacts to it The account planner’s deliverables o Personas o Customer journeys o Integrative communication architecture o Creative briefs o Thought leadership/POVs Personas o The characteristics, interests, behaviors and lifestyles of the person your ad is targeting Customer journeys o The journey a consumer goes through when exposed to an ad and to the point of sale o Onboarding stage loyalty stage retention stage Consumer insights are the fuel that fires the ideas The consumer insight process o Insight begins the research o The objective is to puzzle out a key insight that will help motivate the target audience to respond o Ask and listen (using qualitative and quantitative research) then ask more questions to probe deeper into thoughts, opinions, attitudes, desires, and motivations
Are you sure you want to buy this material for
You're already Subscribed!
Looks like you've already subscribed to StudySoup, you won't need to purchase another subscription to get this material. To access this material simply click 'View Full Document'