New User Special Price Expires in

Let's log you in.

Sign in with Facebook


Don't have a StudySoup account? Create one here!


Create a StudySoup account

Be part of our community, it's free to join!

Sign up with Facebook


Create your account
By creating an account you agree to StudySoup's terms and conditions and privacy policy

Already have a StudySoup account? Login here

PSY 353: Week 3 Assigned reading Nutrition

by: Sydney McCourt

PSY 353: Week 3 Assigned reading Nutrition PSY 353

Marketplace > Cleveland State University > Pyscology > PSY 353 > PSY 353 Week 3 Assigned reading Nutrition
Sydney McCourt
GPA 4.0
View Full Document for 0 Karma

View Full Document


Unlock These Notes for FREE

Enter your email below and we will instantly email you these Notes for Health Pyschology

(Limited time offer)

Unlock Notes

Already have a StudySoup account? Login here

Unlock FREE Class Notes

Enter your email below to receive Health Pyschology notes

Everyone needs better class notes. Enter your email and we will send you notes for this class for free.

Unlock FREE notes

About this Document

assigned reading week 3
Health Pyschology
Bruner,David C
Class Notes
health, Psychology




Popular in Health Pyschology

Popular in Pyscology

This 3 page Class Notes was uploaded by Sydney McCourt on Wednesday September 14, 2016. The Class Notes belongs to PSY 353 at Cleveland State University taught by Bruner,David C in Fall 2016. Since its upload, it has received 6 views. For similar materials see Health Pyschology in Pyscology at Cleveland State University.


Reviews for PSY 353: Week 3 Assigned reading Nutrition


Report this Material


What is Karma?


Karma is the currency of StudySoup.

You can buy or earn more Karma at anytime and redeem it for class notes, study guides, flashcards, and more!

Date Created: 09/14/16
Nutrition Assigned Reading : Week 3  PSY 353      Nutrition Diet and Wellness    Understanding basic nutrition   ● Good nutrition= foundation of health  ○ Four basic nutrients: Water, carbohydrates, proteins and fats  (Additions: vitamins, minerals, micronutrients )    The Four Basic Nutrients    ● Water​: (human body = ⅔ water) essential nutrient involved in every bodily function   ○ Transports nutrients / waste products (digestive, absorption, circulatory and  excretory functions)   ○ Homeostasis (ie: body temp)   ● Carbohydrates​: energy source ­ found in primarily plant based foods ( fruits, veggies,  peas, and beans ; milk / milk products)  ○ Divided into two groups: Simple carbohydrates and complex carbohydrates   ■ Simple carbs:​  simple sugars = fructose(fruit sugar), sucrose(table sugar),  lactose (milk sugar)  ■ Complex carbs: ​  sugar molecules strung together forming longer/ complex  chains (fiber, starches, whole grains, veggies, peas, and beans)   ○ Main source of blood glucose ( body’s fuel)  ■ Uses or becomes fat for storage   ■ Health tip: select unrefined foods = fruits, veggies, peas, beans, and  whole grains. NOT refined processed foods = soda, desserts, candy and  sugar  ● refined foods lead to disorders (ie: diabetes and hypoglycemia)  ○ fiber​= important for health = softens stools (retains water); reduces colon cancer ;  lowers cholesterol (binds w/ to eliminate from body) = reduces chance of heart  disease  ■ 25 grams a day  ● Protein​: essential for growth and development = body energy (produce hormones,  antibodies, enzymes, and tissue) ; maintains acid­alkali balance   ○ Breaks down amino acids  ○ Builds muscle  ○ Complete proteins:​ contain essential amino acids (meat, fish eggs and milk)   ○ Incomplete proteins​  some essential amino acids (grains, legume, green  vegetables)  ○ Mutual supplementation diet:​ instead of consuming high fat proteins (poultry) the  diet combine partial protein foods to make complementary proteins   ■ Ie: brown rice, beans together   ○ 50 grams daily protein  ○ Health tip:​ eat variety of mixed veggies, nuts and seeds along with yogurt (only  animal based complete protein)   ● Fats​: crucial in infancy for brain development (age 2= begin small amounts of fat) & body  needs fats; most concentrated source of energy  ○ Excessive fat intake =factor of obesity; high blood pressure; heart disease; colon  cancer  ○ Fatty acids ​= fats building blocks w/ three major categories:  ■ Saturated fatty acids: animal products (dairy, fatty meats) = liver to  manufacture excessive amounts of cholesterol  ● Below 10% of daily intake  ■ Polyunsaturated fatty acids: (soybean, safflower, sunflower oils) lower  cholesterol level = good cholesterol (HDLs)    ● 10% daily intake   ■ Monounsaturated fatty acids: (veggies / nut oils) reduce LDL levels  ● 10­15% total daily intake  ○ Trans­fatty acid​  polyunsaturated oils are altered with hydrogenation   ■ Raises LDL cholesterol levels   ○ Average daily fat intake 20­25%     Micronutrients: Vitamins and Minerals  ● Essential property of life  ● FDA = recommended daily allowances (RDA) to prevent diseases      Synergy and Definciney  ● 40% of americans only consume 60% of nutrients needed = close to half the american  population are deficient in important nutrients   ○ 50% deficient in vitamin B6   ○ 23% deficient in calcium  ○ 39% deficient in iron  ○ 25% deficient in vitamin C    Avoid Foods that Contain Additives and Artificial Ingredients   ● Additives have NO nutritional value   ● Affect bodily functions = headaches, diarrhea, confusion    Guidelines for Selecting and Preparing food  ● Healthy diet = 4 essential nutrients balances w/ rich vitamin and mineral intake   ● Complex carbs, fiber, complementary proteins, & low saturated fat foods  ● Foods free of additives     Increase Consumption of Raw Produce   ● Organically grown produce = most healthful food  ○ Go for veggies and fruits at peak ripeness (longer it sits the less nutrients)   ● Eat in entirety (including skin where most nutrients are found)  ● Raw = all enzymes and vitamins  ● Canned foods = significant amounts of salt    Avoid Over Cooking Your Foods   ● Destroys most nutrients = carcinogens   ○ (ie: barbecued meats)     Use Proper cooking utensils  ● Use glass, stainless steel, iron pots and pans  ● Foods cooking in aluminum = neutralize digestive juices leading to ulcers and acidosis   ● Metal can flake and get into food = unwanted chemicals in body     Limit Salt intake  ● 500 mg daily  ● Excessive sodium = retention of fluid leading to hypertension and other disorders (kidney  disease PMS)   ● Decrease use of salt in cooking  


Buy Material

Are you sure you want to buy this material for

0 Karma

Buy Material

BOOM! Enjoy Your Free Notes!

We've added these Notes to your profile, click here to view them now.


You're already Subscribed!

Looks like you've already subscribed to StudySoup, you won't need to purchase another subscription to get this material. To access this material simply click 'View Full Document'

Why people love StudySoup

Steve Martinelli UC Los Angeles

"There's no way I would have passed my Organic Chemistry class this semester without the notes and study guides I got from StudySoup."

Anthony Lee UC Santa Barbara

"I bought an awesome study guide, which helped me get an A in my Math 34B class this quarter!"

Bentley McCaw University of Florida

"I was shooting for a perfect 4.0 GPA this semester. Having StudySoup as a study aid was critical to helping me achieve my goal...and I nailed it!"


"Their 'Elite Notetakers' are making over $1,200/month in sales by creating high quality content that helps their classmates in a time of need."

Become an Elite Notetaker and start selling your notes online!

Refund Policy


All subscriptions to StudySoup are paid in full at the time of subscribing. To change your credit card information or to cancel your subscription, go to "Edit Settings". All credit card information will be available there. If you should decide to cancel your subscription, it will continue to be valid until the next payment period, as all payments for the current period were made in advance. For special circumstances, please email


StudySoup has more than 1 million course-specific study resources to help students study smarter. If you’re having trouble finding what you’re looking for, our customer support team can help you find what you need! Feel free to contact them here:

Recurring Subscriptions: If you have canceled your recurring subscription on the day of renewal and have not downloaded any documents, you may request a refund by submitting an email to

Satisfaction Guarantee: If you’re not satisfied with your subscription, you can contact us for further help. Contact must be made within 3 business days of your subscription purchase and your refund request will be subject for review.

Please Note: Refunds can never be provided more than 30 days after the initial purchase date regardless of your activity on the site.