New User Special Price Expires in

Let's log you in.

Sign in with Facebook


Don't have a StudySoup account? Create one here!


Create a StudySoup account

Be part of our community, it's free to join!

Sign up with Facebook


Create your account
By creating an account you agree to StudySoup's terms and conditions and privacy policy

Already have a StudySoup account? Login here

BISC104 Week 2 Notes

by: mtraub

BISC104 Week 2 Notes BISC104

Marketplace > University of Delaware > BISC104 > BISC104 Week 2 Notes

Preview These Notes for FREE

Get a free preview of these Notes, just enter your email below.

Unlock Preview
Unlock Preview

Preview these materials now for free

Why put in your email? Get access to more of this material and other relevant free materials for your school

View Preview

About this Document

These notes cover class materials from 9/12-9/16
Principles of Biology with Laboratory
Dr. Patricia Walsh
Class Notes
25 ?




Popular in Principles of Biology with Laboratory

Popular in Department

This 6 page Class Notes was uploaded by mtraub on Friday September 16, 2016. The Class Notes belongs to BISC104 at University of Delaware taught by Dr. Patricia Walsh in Fall 2016. Since its upload, it has received 10 views.


Reviews for BISC104 Week 2 Notes


Report this Material


What is Karma?


Karma is the currency of StudySoup.

You can buy or earn more Karma at anytime and redeem it for class notes, study guides, flashcards, and more!

Date Created: 09/16/16
What statistical tests can tell us Evaluate and compare data • • Statistical tests - examine variability - extend results to entire population - are differences between groups real or due to chance? • sampling error Why Statistical Tests - Sampling error: difference between sample and population - Statistical tests • standard error of the mean: measure of variability in sample - true mean: mean +/- standard error - Statistically significant: an observed difference is probably not due to sampling error (chance) • < 5% due to chance • Things that can affect this - sample size - variability Standard error and Confidence Intervals - Confidence Interval—standard error of the mean: the range of values from a sample that has a 95% probability of containing the true population mean (average). • mean +/- standard error - As variation increases —> standard error increases The Problem of Sampling error - Sampling error: the effect of change on experimental data - Confidence interval: standard error of mean Caution - Need to examine experiment statistics can’t tell us - Statistically significant versus practically significant Evaluating Scientific Information Primary sources - professional journal • peer review Secondary sources - books - news reports - the internet - advertisements Anecdotes - (story or personal experience) A school district is considering adopting a new math program. A neighboring district reported that students who participated in the program scored an average of 78+/-5 on the standardized math exam in June. Students who did not participate scored an average of 67+/-3. Is there a statistically significant difference between the scores A. Yes B. No Chapter 2: Water, Biochemistry and Cells What does life require? - No simple definition of life - Characteristics of life: • cells: all living things are composed of a cell or cells • biochemistry: all living things have the same basic biomolecules • metabolism • growth and development • movement • reproduction—cell division • genetic information homeostasis: control their internal life • • evolution: (population)—changes over time Water is Essential - Properties of Water • composed of elements: hydrogen, oxygen - Basic Chemistry • Elements: simplest form of matter that can not be broken down into other substances by ordinary means - Examples: carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, etc. • Atoms: smallest unit of the elements - composed of sub atomic particles • Protons (positive), Neutrons (neutral), Electrons (negative) Atomic Structure Oxygen (O) - Nucleus: • 8 protons 8 neutrons • - Electron cloud • 8 electrons - Atomic #: 8 9/14 Electron cloud - 2 in first level - 8 in second level - 8 in third level Atomic number of oxygen is A. 8 B. 16 C. 24 D. 2 E. 6 # of protons=# of electrons Molecule of Water - Molecule: 2 or more atoms held together by a bond - Water molecule: two hydrogen atoms bonded to one oxygen atom - Properties of water: • polar • (electronegativity—the ability to attract electrons) • good solvent - solute - solution dissolves salts and hydrophilic molecules (polar) • • hydrophobic molecules are non polar Nonpolar molecules - electrons shared equally - no partial changes Hydrogen bonding - weak attraction between molecules • slightly negative oxygen attracted to slightly positive hydrogen An atom of phosphorous has 15 protons, 16 neutrons and 15 electrons. How many electrons are in its outermost shell? A. 2 B. 5 C. 13 D. 8 E. 7 Chemistry for Biology - Importance of carbon • bonding versatility can bond 4 different atoms at once • • carbon-containing molecules - different elements - single and double bonds Chemical bonds - depend on the atom’s electron configuration - electron shells: energy levels • Covalent bonds - share • Hydrogen bonds - weak - important in water, proteins, DNA Ionic bonds • - opposite charges attract - strong 9/16 The pH scale: - measure of: • H+ concentration basic: >7 • • acidic: <7 • neutral: 7 Organic Chemistry - Importance of carbon • Bonding versatility • can bond to 4 different atoms at once Biological Macromolecules - Large organic molecules - Found in living organisms • carbohydrates • proteins • lipids • nucleic acids - Made of monomer subunits Macromolecules in Living Organisms - Carbohydrates • molecules of carbon, oxygen, and hydrogen • roles in the cell—energy, structural roles, • examples—monomer = monosaccharide, polymer = polysaccharide - Proteins • molecules of carbon, oxygen, hydrogen, and nitrogen • roles in the cell—enzymes, transport, hormones, contraction • monomer—amino acid (20 different) peptide bond (covalent) • - Lipids • molecules of carbon, oxygen, and hydrogen • Hydrophobic (mostly) • roles in cell— fat, phospholipids, cholesterol - Nucleic Acids • molecules of carbon, oxygen, hydrogen, nitrogen, and phosphorus • roles in the cell—genes monomer—nucleotide • • polymer—polynucleotide (DNA, RNA) DNA structure - contains oxygen - looks like a twisted ladder (double helix) - 2 strands held together by hydrogen bonds - 4 nitrogen bases - complimentary base pairing What is the type of chemical bond between the two water molecules? A. covalent bonds B. ionic bonds C. double bonds D. hydrogen bonds


Buy Material

Are you sure you want to buy this material for

25 Karma

Buy Material

BOOM! Enjoy Your Free Notes!

We've added these Notes to your profile, click here to view them now.


You're already Subscribed!

Looks like you've already subscribed to StudySoup, you won't need to purchase another subscription to get this material. To access this material simply click 'View Full Document'

Why people love StudySoup

Bentley McCaw University of Florida

"I was shooting for a perfect 4.0 GPA this semester. Having StudySoup as a study aid was critical to helping me achieve my goal...and I nailed it!"

Amaris Trozzo George Washington University

"I made $350 in just two days after posting my first study guide."

Jim McGreen Ohio University

"Knowing I can count on the Elite Notetaker in my class allows me to focus on what the professor is saying instead of just scribbling notes the whole time and falling behind."


"Their 'Elite Notetakers' are making over $1,200/month in sales by creating high quality content that helps their classmates in a time of need."

Become an Elite Notetaker and start selling your notes online!

Refund Policy


All subscriptions to StudySoup are paid in full at the time of subscribing. To change your credit card information or to cancel your subscription, go to "Edit Settings". All credit card information will be available there. If you should decide to cancel your subscription, it will continue to be valid until the next payment period, as all payments for the current period were made in advance. For special circumstances, please email


StudySoup has more than 1 million course-specific study resources to help students study smarter. If you’re having trouble finding what you’re looking for, our customer support team can help you find what you need! Feel free to contact them here:

Recurring Subscriptions: If you have canceled your recurring subscription on the day of renewal and have not downloaded any documents, you may request a refund by submitting an email to

Satisfaction Guarantee: If you’re not satisfied with your subscription, you can contact us for further help. Contact must be made within 3 business days of your subscription purchase and your refund request will be subject for review.

Please Note: Refunds can never be provided more than 30 days after the initial purchase date regardless of your activity on the site.