Botany Notes PLSC101010
Popular in Botany I
Popular in Plant Science
This 3 page Class Notes was uploaded by Sophie Menos on Monday October 3, 2016. The Class Notes belongs to PLSC101010 at University of Delaware taught by Bais,Harsh in Fall 2016. Since its upload, it has received 13 views. For similar materials see Botany I in Plant Science at University of Delaware.
Reviews for Botany Notes
Report this Material
What is Karma?
Karma is the currency of StudySoup.
You can buy or earn more Karma at anytime and redeem it for class notes, study guides, flashcards, and more!
Date Created: 10/03/16
Transpiration 10/3/16 3:56 PM quiz - how to draw stomatal aperture C3, C4, CAM plants more water uptake, more transpiration, more nutrient uptake the plant needs water • for healthy metabolism • for support • for long distance transport root – shoot transport • in xylem vessels • translocate water and nutrients from root to shoot shoots – root transport • in phloem vessels • translocate photosynthates from shoot to root water always flows towards low water potential/high solute potential soil properties influence water availability • sand – large particles, large pore space, low water retention, high aeration • clay – small particles, low porosity, high water retention, low aeration • silt – in between size • loam – mixture of sand, slit and clay • field capacity o soil after drainage § low for sand § high for clay • permanent wilting point o soil capacity so low plants cannot take up water o soil water content at this point: perman ent wilting % • available water = field capacity – permanent wilting % o (highest In loam soils, low in sand) 90% plants transpire via stomata • participation of the stomata (sing. stoma) or stomates, microscopic pores in the epidermis of the leaves 3-10% cuticular transpiration • the loss of water in the form of water vapor through cuticle < 1% lenticular transpiration • the loss of water from plants as vapor through the lenticels. • lenticels o tiny openings that protrude from the barks in woody stems and twigs as well as in other plant organs. why transpiration • bring water to shoot • bring minerals to shoot • cool leaves transpiration • uptake in root symplast o passes through membrane o solute-driven osmosis • export into root xylem apoplast o passes a membrane o pressure driven osmosis • bulk flow to shoot o no membrane o bulk flow (not osmosis) • uptake in shoot symplast o passes membrane o solute-driven osmosis • evaporation into air o passes a membrane o pressure-driven osmosis Driving forces of H2O movement • short distance – osmosis o into cells: solute driven o out of cells: pressure driven • long distance – bulk flow o suction created by leaf evap o cohesion/adhesion of water o root pressure cavitation • high temperature conditions, air bubble is created, hindering transpiration acclimation • metabolic changes morphological changes adaptation • genetic transpiration rate is influenced by • stomates are vulnerable to pathogens
Are you sure you want to buy this material for
You're already Subscribed!
Looks like you've already subscribed to StudySoup, you won't need to purchase another subscription to get this material. To access this material simply click 'View Full Document'