PFW Lecture Week 7 Notes
PFW Lecture Week 7 Notes PFW 104
Popular in Jogging
Popular in Department
This 3 page Class Notes was uploaded by Melinda Notetaker on Sunday February 28, 2016. The Class Notes belongs to PFW 104 at Ball State University taught by Kendra Leigh Zenisek in Winter 2016. Since its upload, it has received 10 views.
Reviews for PFW Lecture Week 7 Notes
Report this Material
What is Karma?
Karma is the currency of StudySoup.
You can buy or earn more Karma at anytime and redeem it for class notes, study guides, flashcards, and more!
Date Created: 02/28/16
PFW Lecture Notes: Chapter 5 Monday February 22, 2016 Flexibility-the ability of a joint to move freely through its full range of motion without causing injury FactorsAffecting Flexibility Joint Structure • Cartilage, joint capsule • Provides 47% of resistance to movement within joint Soft Tissue • Muscles, Tendons, ligaments Provides remaining 53% of resistance • • can remain flexible with regular activity and stretching Health Benefits of Flexibility • Decreased aches and pains • enhanced ability to move freely and easily • possible decreased risk of injury • possible reduction in lower back pain (current or future) • recovery from injury • enhanced athletic performance • reversal of age related decline in flexibility • improved posture and appearance FactorsAffecting Flexibility Cont. • Joint structure • soft tissues • Muscle Temperature • Inactivity • IncreasedAge • Genetics • Sex • Obesity • Injury and Scar Tissue • Neural Factors Muscular Imbalances • Guideline of Flexibility Development Frequency 2-3 days a weeks (up to 7 days if possible) Intensity slightly beyond the normal range of motion to the point of tension Time 10-30 seconds static hold sessions can last 10-30 minutes Type …… Types of Stretching Static slow controlled movement most commonly used and recommended type should be done at the end of workout Dynamic Moving body parts to gradually increase speed and or range of motion should be applied after general warm up Best done before activities that require high muscular forces can also be done after activity Active uses your own muscle forces to stretch yourself done through contraction of opposing muscle Passive uses someone or something else to assist with a stretch (body weight, gravity, strap or leverage) Usually more effective PNF Partner-Assisted Stretches Proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation (PNF) uses the nervous and muscular systems to facilitate stretching PNF Stretch pattern: 10-30 sec static stretch 6 seconds isometric contraction of the muscle being stretched 10-30 seconds passive-assisted stretch Principles for Flexibility Development Progressive Overload slow, sustained, and consistent program Specificity flexibility is specific to each joint so each joint must be considered Reversibility use it or lost it Balance muscles can be righter on one side of the body pay attention to flexibility differences and work to improve them Basic MuscleAnatomy on Midterm Matching Picture posted on Blackboard to study from Photos showing what muscle groups are being stretched on Midterm as well Midterm monday after spring break, no class then
Are you sure you want to buy this material for
You're already Subscribed!
Looks like you've already subscribed to StudySoup, you won't need to purchase another subscription to get this material. To access this material simply click 'View Full Document'