×
Log in to StudySoup
Get Full Access to University Physics, Volume 3 - 17 Edition - Chapter 8 - Problem 60
Join StudySoup for FREE
Get Full Access to University Physics, Volume 3 - 17 Edition - Chapter 8 - Problem 60

Already have an account? Login here
×
Reset your password

University Physics, Volume 3 | 17th Edition | ISBN: 9781938168185 | Authors: Samuel J. Ling ISBN: 9781938168185 2032

Solution for problem 60 Chapter 8

University Physics, Volume 3 | 17th Edition

  • Textbook Solutions
  • 2901 Step-by-step solutions solved by professors and subject experts
  • Get 24/7 help from StudySoup virtual teaching assistants
University Physics, Volume 3 | 17th Edition | ISBN: 9781938168185 | Authors: Samuel J. Ling

University Physics, Volume 3 | 17th Edition

4 5 1 304 Reviews
27
3
Problem 60

The Exclusion Principle and the Periodic Table

Write the electron configuration for potassium.

Step-by-Step Solution:
Step 1 of 3

Free Compression Lab Continuation:  We have seen that with four molecules in our gas box, a 50/50 split (2 on each side) has the most microstates but we do observe other configurations (all on one side for example)  Just like with our coins, this would be true with real gas molecules too  Why do we not see other options in our everyday world: we never see significant numbers of gas molecules on one side of a room! Something must happen when we increase the number of molecules from four to the 1028 in this room.  To understand why, we will be looking at the fraction of the time that the split is within 10% of 50/50, i.e. “What fraction of the time is the number of molecules on the left between 40% and 60% of all of the molecules  Let’s start looking at the 40% - 60% range in our 4-molecule gas o 10% of 4 is 0.4 o So we are interested in the range 2 +- 0.4 on the left o Clearly cannot have 0.4 of a molecule o i.e. only the 50/50 configuration o This make the 4-molecule configuration a bit weird  The probability that we observe between 40% and 60% of the molecules on the left is just the probability of 2 on the left: 0.375  Where 40% - 60% is actually a range: o 10% of 10 is 1 o So we are interested in the fraction of the time where there are between 4 and 6 (inclusive) molecules on the left o In order to do this we need o The number of microstates corresponding to the macrostates

Step 2 of 3

Chapter 8, Problem 60 is Solved
Step 3 of 3

Textbook: University Physics, Volume 3
Edition: 17
Author: Samuel J. Ling
ISBN: 9781938168185

Other solutions

People also purchased

Related chapters

Unlock Textbook Solution

Enter your email below to unlock your verified solution to: