What are the properties of a solid?
The general properties of solids are as given below
1) Solids are rigid and have definite shape. (This is because the intermolecular force of attraction is very strong in solids. Thus the molecules are strongly held and arranged in order.
2) Solids have definite volume irrespective of the size or the shape of the container in which they are placed
3) Solids are almost incompressible
4) Many solids have crystalline appearance and have definite pattern of angles and planes
5) The density of solids is greater than that of gases and liquids
6) Most solids become liquids when heated. This process is known as melting and the temperature at which a solid changes into liquid is called the melting point.