Which of the following properties of ethylene (a ripening agent for bananas) are physical properties, and which are chemical?
• gas at room temperature
• 1 L has a mass of 1.260 g under standard conditions
• mixes with acetone
• polymerizes to form polyethylene
Step 1 of 3
A physical property is an aspect of matter that can be observed or measured without changing it.
A chemical property may only be observed by changing the chemical identity of a substance.
Based on this we can classify the below given properties as physical or chemical
• colorless - physical property
• odorless - physical property
• flammable-chemical property
• gas at room temperature - physical property
• 1 L has a mass of 1.260 g under standard conditions- physical property
• mixes with acetone-chemical property
• polymerizes to form polyethylene-chemical property
Textbook: Introductory Chemistry
Author: Nivaldo J Tro
Since the solution to 39P from 3 chapter was answered, more than 361 students have viewed the full step-by-step answer. This textbook survival guide was created for the textbook: Introductory Chemistry, edition: 5. This full solution covers the following key subjects: properties, mixes, bananas, chemical, colorless. This expansive textbook survival guide covers 19 chapters, and 2046 solutions. The answer to “Which of the following properties of ethylene (a ripening agent for bananas) are physical properties, and which are chemical?• colorless• odorless• flammable• gas at room temperature• 1 L has a mass of 1.260 g under standard conditions• mixes with acetone• polymerizes to form polyethylene” is broken down into a number of easy to follow steps, and 44 words. Introductory Chemistry was written by and is associated to the ISBN: 9780321910295. The full step-by-step solution to problem: 39P from chapter: 3 was answered by , our top Chemistry solution expert on 05/06/17, 06:45PM.