- 5.1: Find the value of that maximizes the angle shown in the figure. Wha...
- 5.2: Recall that the graph of a function is symmetric with respect to th...
- 5.3: (a) Use a graphing utility to graph on the interval (b) Use the gra...
- 5.4: Let (a) Determine the domain of the function (b) Find two values of...
- 5.5: Graph the exponential function for 1.2, and 2.0. Which of these cur...
- 5.6: (a) Let be a point on the unit circlein the first quadrant (see fig...
- 5.7: Consider the three regions and determined by the graph of as shown ...
- 5.8: Let be the tangent line to the graph of the function at the point S...
- 5.9: Let be the tangent line to the graph of the function at the point S...
- 5.10: Use integration by substitution to find the area under the curve be...
- 5.11: Use integration by substitution to find the area under the curve be...
- 5.12: (a) Use a graphing utility to compare the graph of the function wit...
- 5.13: A $120,000 home mortgage for 35 years at has a monthly payment of $...
Solutions for Chapter 5: Calculus of a Single Variable 8th Edition
Full solutions for Calculus of a Single Variable | 8th Edition
A value ƒ(c) is an absolute minimum value of ƒ if ƒ(c) ? ƒ(x)for all x in the domain of ƒ.
Absolute value of a vector
See Magnitude of a vector.
Annual percentage rate (APR)
The annual interest rate
A measure of the strength of the linear relationship between two variables, pp. 146, 162.
Division algorithm for polynomials
Given ƒ(x), d(x) ? 0 there are unique polynomials q1x (quotient) and r1x(remainder) ƒ1x2 = d1x2q1x2 + r1x2 with with either r1x2 = 0 or degree of r(x) 6 degree of d1x2
Matrices that have the same order and equal corresponding elements.
Any solution of the resulting equation that is not a solution of the original equation.
Focal width of a parabola
The length of the chord through the focus and perpendicular to the axis.
A square matrix with 1’s in the main diagonal and 0’s elsewhere, p. 534.
Increasing on an interval
A function ƒ is increasing on an interval I if, for any two points in I, a positive change in x results in a positive change in.
Initial side of an angle
Lower bound for real zeros
A number c is a lower bound for the set of real zeros of ƒ if ƒ(x) Z 0 whenever x < c
A boxplot with the outliers removed.
Permutations of n objects taken r at a time
There are nPr = n!1n - r2! such permutations
Quotient of complex numbers
a + bi c + di = ac + bd c2 + d2 + bc - ad c2 + d2 i
A function that assigns real-number values to the outcomes in a sample space.
Spiral of Archimedes
The graph of the polar curve.
Sum of complex numbers
(a + bi) + (c + di) = (a + c) + (b + d)i
A special form for a system of linear equations that facilitates finding the solution.
Vertices of a hyperbola
The points where a hyperbola intersects the line containing its foci.