- 1.1.1: Which graph in Figure 1.5 best matches each of the following storie...
- 1.1.2: The height of a sand dune is a function of time, and the wind erode...
- 1.1.3: The amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is a function of tim...
- 1.1.4: The number of air conditioning units sold is a function of temperat...
- 1.1.5: The noise level, in decibels, is a function of distance from the so...
- 1.1.6: The population of Washington DC grew from 1900 to 1950, stayed appr...
- 1.1.7: LetW = f(t) represent wheat production in Argentina,3 in millions o...
- 1.1.8: The concentration of carbon dioxide, C = f(t), in the atmosphere, i...
- 1.1.9: (a) The graph of r = f(p) is in Figure 1.6. What is the value of r ...
- 1.1.10: For the functions in 1014, find f(5). f(x) = 2x + 3 1
- 1.1.11: For the functions in 1014, find f(5). f(x) = 10x x2 1
- 1.1.12: For the functions in 1014, find f(5). 2 4 6 8 10 2 4 6 f(x) x 1
- 1.1.13: For the functions in 1014, find f(5). f(x) 2 4 6 8 10 2 4 6 8 10 x 1
- 1.1.14: For the functions in 1014, find f(5). x 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 f(x) 2.3 2....
- 1.1.15: Let y = f(x) = x2 + 2. (a) Find the value of y when x is zero. (b) ...
- 1.1.16: In 1983 the average annual sea level in Aberdeen was 7.019 meters. 1
- 1.1.17: The average annual sea level in Aberdeen in 2008. 1
- 1.1.18: The average annual sea level in Aberdeen was the same in 1865 and 1...
- 1.1.19: The average annual sea level in Aberdeen increased by 1 millimeter ...
- 1.1.20: (a) A potato is put in an oven to bake at time t = 0. Which of the ...
- 1.1.21: An object is put outside on a cold day at time t = 0. Its temperatu...
- 1.1.22: In the Andes mountains in Peru, the number, N, of species of bats i...
- 1.1.23: In tide pools on the New England coast, snails eat algae. Describe ...
- 1.1.24: Figure 1.11 shows the amount of nicotine, N = f(t), in mg, in a per...
- 1.1.25: A deposit is made into an interest-bearing account. Figure 1.12 sho...
- 1.1.26: The use of CFCs (chlorofluorocarbons) has declined since the 1987 M...
- 1.1.27: When a patient with a rapid heart rate takes a drug, the heart rate...
- 1.1.28: The gas mileage of a car (in miles per gallon) is highest when the ...
- 1.1.29: After an injection, the concentration of a drug in a patients body ...
- 1.1.30: Financial investors know that, in general, the higher the expected ...
- 1.1.31: The number of sales per month, S, is a function of the amount, a (i...
- 1.1.32: Figure 1.14 shows fifty years of fertilizer use in the US, India, a...
- 1.1.33: The six graphs in Figure 1.15 show frequently observed patterns of ...
- 1.1.34: Table 1.2 shows the average annual sea level, S, in meters, in Aber...
- 1.1.35: Driving speed against time on the highway 3
- 1.1.36: Distance driven against time on the highway 3
- 1.1.37: Distance from my exit vs time on the highway 3
- 1.1.38: Distance between cars vs distance driven on the highway
Solutions for Chapter 1.1: WHAT IS A FUNCTION?
Full solutions for Applied Calculus | 5th Edition
A function is bounded below if there is a number b such that b ? ƒ(x) for all x in the domain of f.
Degree of a polynomial (function)
The largest exponent on the variable in any of the terms of the polynomial (function)
Difference of two vectors
<u1, u2> - <v1, v2> = <u1 - v1, u2 - v2> or <u1, u2, u3> - <v1, v2, v3> = <u1 - v1, u2 - v2, u3 - v3>
Directrix of a parabola, ellipse, or hyperbola
A line used to determine the conic
A sequence or series diverges if it does not converge
A statement that describes a bounded interval, such as 3 ? x < 5
A blind experiment in which the researcher gathering data from the subjects is not told which subjects have received which treatment
equation of an ellipse
(x - h2) a2 + (y - k)2 b2 = 1 or (y - k)2 a2 + (x - h)2 b2 = 1
A subset of a sample space.
Expanded form of a series
A series written explicitly as a sum of terms (not in summation notation).
The points (x, y, z) in space with x > 0 y > 0, and z > 0.
Focal width of a parabola
The length of the chord through the focus and perpendicular to the axis.
Grapher or graphing utility
Graphing calculator or a computer with graphing software.
Identity involving a trigonometric function of u/2.
Implicitly defined function
A function that is a subset of a relation defined by an equation in x and y.
See Polar coordinate system.
The process of fitting a polynomial of degree n to (n + 1) points.
Product of matrices A and B
The matrix in which each entry is obtained by multiplying the entries of a row of A by the corresponding entries of a column of B and then adding
Root of an equation
If a = b and b = c , then a = c. Similar properties hold for the inequality symbols <, >, ?, ?.