- 8.4.1: The marginal cost function was defined to be the derivative of the ...
- 8.4.2: The marginal revenue from the sale of units of a product is . If th...
- 8.4.3: The marginal cost of producing units of a certain product is (in do...
- 8.4.4: The demand function for a certain commodity is Find the consumer su...
- 8.4.5: A demand curve is given by . Find the consumer surplus when the sel...
- 8.4.6: The supply function for a commodity gives the relation between the ...
- 8.4.7: If a supply curve is modeled by the equation , find the producer su...
- 8.4.8: For a given commodity and pure competition, the number of units pro...
- 8.4.9: A company modeled the demand curve for its product (in dollars) by ...
- 8.4.10: A movie theater has been charging $7.50 per person and selling abou...
- 8.4.11: If the amount of capital that a company has at time is , then the d...
- 8.4.12: A hot, wet summer is causing a mosquito population explosion in a l...
- 8.4.13: Use Poiseuilles Law to calculate the rate of flow in a small human ...
- 8.4.14: High blood pressure results from constriction of the arteries. To m...
- 8.4.15: The dye dilution method is used to measure cardiac output with 8 mg...
- 8.4.16: After an 8-mg injection of dye, the readings of dye concentration a...
Solutions for Chapter 8.4: Applications to Economics and Biology
Full solutions for Calculus, | 5th Edition
Absolute value of a vector
See Magnitude of a vector.
Angle of depression
The acute angle formed by the line of sight (downward) and the horizontal
A letter or symbol that stands for a specific number,
A sample that sacrifices randomness for convenience
A number that is associated with a square matrix
Equivalent equations (inequalities)
Equations (inequalities) that have the same solutions.
Index of summation
See Summation notation.
See Power function.
Law of cosines
a2 = b2 + c2 - 2bc cos A, b2 = a2 + c2 - 2ac cos B, c2 = a2 + b2 - 2ab cos C
Linear equation in x
An equation that can be written in the form ax + b = 0, where a and b are real numbers and a Z 0
Measure of center
A measure of the typical, middle, or average value for a data set
For a basic trigonometric function f, an identity relating f(x) to f(-x).
The collection of probabilities of outcomes in a sample space assigned by a probability function.
The movement of an object that is subject only to the force of gravity
Any one of the four parts into which a plane is divided by the perpendicular coordinate axes.
A sum where the interval is divided into n subintervals of equal length and is in the ith subinterval.
Solve an equation or inequality
To find all solutions of the equation or inequality
An identity involving a trigonometric function of u + v
Vertex of an angle
Vertices of an ellipse
The points where the ellipse intersects its focal axis.