- 2-6.Q1: Evaluate f(2) if f(x) = 3x4 + 5.
- 2-6.Q2: Find f(x) if f(x) =3x4 + 5.
- 2-6.Q3: Evaluate h(3) if h(x) = 5(x 3)/(x 3).
- 2-6.Q4: Find h(x) if h(x) = 5(x 3)/(x 3).
- 2-6.Q5: Evaluate s(0) if s(x) = |x|/x.
- 2-6.Q6: Find s(x) if s(x) = |x|/x.
- 2-6.Q7: Evaluate: sin ( /2)
- 2-6.Q8: Fill in the blank with the correct operation: log (xy) = log x ? lo...
- 2-6.Q9: The expression 0/0 is called a(n) ? form.
- 2-6.Q10: Which of these definitely is not true if f(x) takes the form 0/0 as...
- 2-6.1: For 1 and 2, explain why the intermediate value theorem applies on ...
- 2-6.2: For 1 and 2, explain why the intermediate value theorem applies on ...
- 2-6.3: Converse of the Intermediate Value Theorem? The intermediate value ...
- 2-6.4: Figure 2-6e shows the graph of if x is rational if x is irrational ...
- 2-6.5: Use the intermediate value theorem to prove that there is a real nu...
- 2-6.6: Use the intermediate value theorem to prove that if f is continuous...
- 2-6.7: The intermediate value theorem is an example of an existence theore...
- 2-6.8: Sweetheart Problem: You wish to visit your sweetheart, but you dont...
- 2-6.9: Foot Race Problem: Jesse and Kay run the 1000-m race. One minute af...
- 2-6.10: Postage Stamp Problem: U.S. postage rates in 2003 for first-class l...
- 2-6.11: Cosine Function Problem: Figure 2-6g is agraph of f(x) = cos x. Rec...
- 2-6.12: Exponential Function Problem: Figure 2-6h is a graph of f(x) = 2x. ...
- 2-6.13: The Extreme Value Theorem: The extreme value theorem expresses the ...
- 2-6.14: The Image Theorem: The image theorem, a corollary of the intermedia...
Solutions for Chapter 2-6: The Intermediate Value Theorem and Its Consequences
Full solutions for Calculus: Concepts and Applications | 2nd Edition
See Inverse cosine function.
An angle whose vertex is the center of a circle
See Polynomial function
A function that is continuous on its entire domain
A measure of the strength of the linear relationship between two variables, pp. 146, 162.
An identity involving a trigonometric function of 2u
A method of solving a system of linear equations
equation of an ellipse
(x - h2) a2 + (y - k)2 b2 = 1 or (y - k)2 a2 + (x - h)2 b2 = 1
A procedure for finding the straight line that is the best fit for the data
Linear regression line
The line for which the sum of the squares of the residuals is the smallest possible
Multiplication principle of probability
If A and B are independent events, then P(A and B) = P(A) # P(B). If Adepends on B, then P(A and B) = P(A|B) # P(B)
A pair of real numbers (x, y), p. 12.
Paraboloid of revolution
A surface generated by rotating a parabola about its line of symmetry.
Parallelogram representation of vector addition
Geometric representation of vector addition using the parallelogram determined by the position vectors.
A function of the form ƒ(x) = k . x a, where k and a are nonzero constants. k is the constant of variation and a is the power.
A function that can be written in the form ƒ(x) = ax 2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are real numbers, and a ? 0.
The graph in three dimensions of a seconddegree equation in three variables.
A degree 4 polynomial function.
The line segment whose endpoints are the vertices of a hyperbola.
A vector that specifies the motion of an object in terms of its speed and direction.