- 10-3.Q1: What is your average speed if you go 40 mi in 0.8 h?
- 10-3.Q2: How far do you go in 3 min if your average speed is 600 mi/h?
- 10-3.Q3: How long does it take to go 10 mi at an average speed of 30 mi/h?
- 10-3.Q4: The first positive value of x at which y = cos x has a local maximu...
- 10-3.Q5: y = ex has a local maximum at what value of x?
- 10-3.Q6: y = x2 3x + 11 has a local minimum at x = ?.
- 10-3.Q7: For f(x) = (x 5)2, the global maximum for x [1, 3] is ?.
- 10-3.Q8: If f(x) = x0.8, then (0) = ?
- 10-3.Q9: Name the theorem that states that under suitable conditions, a func...
- 10-3.Q10: The graph of = 1 is a(n) ?. A. Circle B. Hyperbola C. Line D. Ellip...
- 10-3.1: For 16, a. Find the average value of the function on the given inte...
- 10-3.2: For 16, a. Find the average value of the function on the given inte...
- 10-3.3: For 16, a. Find the average value of the function on the given inte...
- 10-3.4: For 16, a. Find the average value of the function on the given inte...
- 10-3.5: For 16, a. Find the average value of the function on the given inte...
- 10-3.6: For 16, a. Find the average value of the function on the given inte...
- 10-3.7: For 710, find a formula in terms of k for the average value of the ...
- 10-3.8: For 710, find a formula in terms of k for the average value of the ...
- 10-3.9: For 710, find a formula in terms of k for the average value of the ...
- 10-3.10: For 710, find a formula in terms of k for the average value of the ...
- 10-3.11: Average Velocity from Acceleration Problem: Suppose you are driving...
- 10-3.12: Idas Speeding Ticket Problem: Ida Livermore is rushing to take pizz...
- 10-3.13: Average Velocity for Constant Acceleration Problem: Prove that if a...
- 10-3.14: Average Velocity for Other Accelerations Problem: Show by counterex...
- 10-3.15: Average Cost of Inventory Problem: Merchants like to keep plenty of...
- 10-3.16: Swimming Pool Average Depth Problem: Figure 10-3f shows a vertical ...
- 10-3.17: Average Temperature Problem: Figure 10-3g shows the temperature rec...
- 10-3.18: Average Vitamin C Amount Problem: Calvin takes a 200-mg vitamin C t...
- 10-3.19: Average Voltage Problem: For the normal alternating current supplie...
- 10-3.20: Root Mean Square Deviation Problem: To measure how hilly a landscap...
Solutions for Chapter 10-3: Average Value Problems in Motion and Elsewhere
Full solutions for Calculus: Concepts and Applications | 2nd Edition
Angle between vectors
The angle formed by two nonzero vectors sharing a common initial point
The farthest point from the Sun in a planet’s orbit
Average rate of change of ƒ over [a, b]
The number ƒ(b) - ƒ(a) b - a, provided a ? b.
Chord of a conic
A line segment with endpoints on the conic
Trigonometric functions when applied to real numbers are circular functions
Composition of functions
(f ? g) (x) = f (g(x))
Real numbers that are not rational, p. 2.
Lower bound for real zeros
A number c is a lower bound for the set of real zeros of ƒ if ƒ(x) Z 0 whenever x < c
A process for proving that a statement is true for all natural numbers n by showing that it is true for n = 1 (the anchor) and that, if it is true for n = k, then it must be true for n = k + 1 (the inductive step)
Angle measure equal to 1/60 of a degree.
nth power of a
The number with n factors of a , where n is the exponent and a is the base.
Opens upward or downward
A parabola y = ax 2 + bx + c opens upward if a > 0 and opens downward if a < 0.
Position vector of the point (a, b)
The vector <a,b>.
Quadratic equation in x
An equation that can be written in the form ax 2 + bx + c = 01a ? 02
Reciprocal of a real number
See Multiplicative inverse of a real number.
The function y = sec x.
Solution set of an inequality
The set of all solutions of an inequality
Standard unit vectors
In the plane i = <1, 0> and j = <0,1>; in space i = <1,0,0>, j = <0,1,0> k = <0,0,1>
Sum of a finite arithmetic series
Sn = na a1 + a2 2 b = n 2 32a1 + 1n - 12d4,
Symmetric about the origin
A graph in which (-x, -y) is on the the graph whenever (x, y) is; or a graph in which (-r, ?) or (r, ? + ?) is on the graph whenever (r, ?) is