- 3.1: In 14, determine where each function is continuous. Investigate the...
- 3.2: In 14, determine where each function is continuous. Investigate the...
- 3.3: In 14, determine where each function is continuous. Investigate the...
- 3.4: In 14, determine where each function is continuous. Investigate the...
- 3.5: Sketch the graph of a function that is discontinuous from the left ...
- 3.6: Sketch the graph of a function f (x) that is continuous on [0, 2], ...
- 3.7: Sketch the graph of a continuous function on [0,) with f (0) = 0 an...
- 3.8: Sketch the graph of a continuous function on (,) with f (0) = 1, f ...
- 3.9: Show that the floor function f (x) = _x_ is continuous from the rig...
- 3.10: Suppose f (x) is continuous on the interval [1, 3]. If f (1) = 0 an...
- 3.11: Population Size Assume that the size of a population at time t is N...
- 3.12: Population Size Suppose that N(t) = 10 + 2e0.3t sin t, t 0 describe...
- 3.13: Physiology Suppose that an organism reacts to a stimulus only when ...
- 3.14: Tree Height The following function describes the height of a tree a...
- 3.15: PredatorPrey Model There are a number of mathematical models that d...
- 3.16: Community Respiration Duarte and Agust (1998) investigated the CO2 ...
- 3.17: Hyperbolic functions are used in the sciences. We take a look at th...
Solutions for Chapter 3: Review Problems
Full solutions for Calculus For Biology and Medicine (Calculus for Life Sciences Series) | 3rd Edition
Addition principle of probability.
P(A or B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B). If A and B are mutually exclusive events, then P(A or B) = P(A) + P(B)
Chord of a conic
A line segment with endpoints on the conic
Completing the square
A method of adding a constant to an expression in order to form a perfect square
See Compounded k times per year.
A letter or symbol that stands for a specific number,
Variable representing the range value of a function (usually y)
See Power function.
Domain of validity of an identity
The set of values of the variable for which both sides of the identity are defined
Exponential growth function
Growth modeled by ƒ(x) = a ? b a > 0, b > 1 .
Fitting a line or curve to data
Finding a line or curve that comes close to passing through all the points in a scatter plot.
A relation that associates each value in the domain with exactly one value in the range.
Future value of an annuity
The net amount of money returned from an annuity.
Logarithmic re-expression of data
Transformation of a data set involving the natural logarithm: exponential regression, natural logarithmic regression, power regression
nth root of unity
A complex number v such that vn = 1
Angle generated by a counterclockwise rotation.
The first quartile is the median of the lower half of a set of data, the second quartile is the median, and the third quartile is the median of the upper half of the data.
The portion of the domain applicable to the situation being modeled.
A 90° angle.
A triangle with a 90° angle.
The directed distance from the x-axis xz-plane to a point in a plane (space), or the second number in an ordered pair (triple), pp. 12, 629.