- 1-1.1: Archery 1: An archer climbs a tree near the edge of a cliff, then s...
- 1-1.2: Gas Temperature and Volume Problem: When you heat a fixed amount of...
- 1-1.3: Mortgage Payment Problem: People who buy houses usually get a loan ...
- 1-1.4: Stopping Distance Problem: The distance your car takes to stop depe...
- 1-1.5: Stove Heating Element Problem: When you turn on the heating element...
- 1-1.6: In mathematics you learn things in four ways algebraically, graphic...
Solutions for Chapter 1-1: Functions: Algebraically, Numerically, Graphically, and Verbally
Full solutions for Precalculus with Trigonometry: Concepts and Applications | 1st Edition
Solutions for Chapter 1-1: Functions: Algebraically, Numerically, Graphically, and VerballyGet Full Solutions
Average rate of change of ƒ over [a, b]
The number ƒ(b) - ƒ(a) b - a, provided a ? b.
See Compounded k times per year.
The probability of an event A given that an event B has already occurred
See Right circular cone.
Difference of complex numbers
(a + bi) - (c + di) = (a - c) + (b - d)i
equation of a quadratic function
ƒ(x) = ax 2 + bx + c(a ? 0)
Any solution of the resulting equation that is not a solution of the original equation.
The sequence 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, . . ..
Initial side of an angle
Inverse tangent function
The function y = tan-1 x
Real numbers that are not rational, p. 2.
Multiplicative inverse of a complex number
The reciprocal of a + bi, or 1 a + bi = a a2 + b2- ba2 + b2 i
Numerical derivative of ƒ at a
NDER f(a) = ƒ1a + 0.0012 - ƒ1a - 0.00120.002
The measure of acidity
The distance from the center to a vertex of an ellipse.
A square matrix with zero determinant
Ratio change in y/change in x
A matrix whose number of rows equals the number of columns.
Symmetric about the y-axis
A graph in which (-x, y) is on the graph whenever (x, y) is; or a graph in which (-r, -?) or (r, ?, -?) is on the graph whenever (r, ?) is
The line x = a is a vertical asymptote of the graph of the function ƒ if limx:a+ ƒ1x2 = q or lim x:a- ƒ1x2 = q.