- 6-1.1: Figure 6-1a shows five triangles. Each one has sides of 3 cm and 4 ...
- 6-1.2: Measure a, the third side of each triangle. Find the third side if ...
- 6-1.3: Store the data from in lists on your grapher. Make a connected plot...
- 6-1.4: The plot looks like a half-cycle of a sinusoid. Find the equation o...
- 6-1.5: By the Pythagorean theorem, a2 = 32 + 42 if A is 90. If A is less t...
- 6-1.6: What did you learn from this problem set that you did not know before?
Solutions for Chapter 6-1: Introduction to Oblique Triangles
Full solutions for Precalculus with Trigonometry: Concepts and Applications | 1st Edition
Absolute value of a complex number
The absolute value of the complex number z = a + b is given by ?a2+b2; also, the length of the segment from the origin to z in the complex plane.
The set of points on the “edge” of a region
A function is bounded below if there is a number b such that b ? ƒ(x) for all x in the domain of f.
A coordinate plane used to represent the complex numbers. The x-axis of the complex plane is called the real axis and the y-axis is the imaginary axis
A degree 3 polynomial function
De Moivre’s theorem
(r(cos ? + i sin ?))n = r n (cos n? + i sin n?)
A function whose graph is symmetric about the y-axis for all x in the domain of ƒ.
The graph of the linear inequality y ? ax + b, y > ax + b y ? ax + b, or y < ax + b.
y = b.
Line of symmetry
A line over which a graph is the mirror image of itself
See Numerical derivative of ƒ at x = a.
Quotient rule of logarithms
logb a R S b = logb R - logb S, R > 0, S > 0
Right circular cone
The surface created when a line is rotated about a second line that intersects but is not perpendicular to the first line.
A graph of a polar equation or r = a cos nu.
See Elementary row operations.
A plot of all the ordered pairs of a two-variable data set on a coordinate plane.
Solution of an equation or inequality
A value of the variable (or values of the variables) for which the equation or inequality is true
Standard position (angle)
An angle positioned on a rectangular coordinate system with its vertex at the origin and its initial side on the positive x-axis
A number that measures a quantitative variable for a sample from a population.
A visualization of the relationships among events within a sample space.